• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Homemade sway bar lower control arm tabs

Encswsm

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
I have a “new to me” 1966 Charger I found somthing weird that the PO did. Has anyone ever seen steel plates bolted to the LC arm for attaching the sway bar? This looks sketchy to me. Any suggestions to do it correctly

20240123_160230_Original.jpeg

20240123_160238_Original.jpeg

20240123_160518_Original.jpeg

20240123_160327_Original.jpeg

20240123_160358_Original.jpeg

That looks like some backyard, 3 buddy’s, and a 24 pack kinda job. I would take it all off and save up $200 to $400 then buy an after market kit made to fit your car. Google it. Congrats on your new car

See if you can find lower control arms with tabs.
Removing and installing new bushings is one of the tougher jobs on a Mopar.

It is possible to cut the tabs off and weld them on arms with out the tabs.

I'm a Redneck hack myself and I agree that configuration looks beyond sketchy to me. The suggestions above are spot on. LCAs with the sway bar tabs aren't that hard to find if you look.
Good luck!

See if you can find lower control arms with tabs.
Removing and installing new bushings is one of the tougher jobs on a Mopar.

It is possible to cut the tabs off and weld them on arms with out the tabs.
That would be best but he will still need a different sway bar. The OE goes on the inside of the radius rods

So, agree with all the others... this is a hack job and would fail under any real work. Also, it's already broken and not functioning. I would remove as soon as possible, if for no other reason - safety.

I would actually recommend Hellwig (Hellwig 5903 Hellwig Anti-Sway Bars | Summit Racing) for the front and Hotchkis for the rear (Hotchkis Sport Suspension 2255R Hotchkis Sport Suspension Anti-Sway Bar Kits | Summit Racing). I've used Hotchkis for the front before and they're excellent! However, the HellWig is - IMHO - a more elegant installation and doesn't require welding.

BTW... congratulations on the new car! I have a 66 Charger and although the second gen get's all the attention, my heart is in gen one Chargers. Amazing cars... I love them.

Hellwig makes a really nice sway bar that bolts to the bottom of the shock.

Super easy install.

IIRC there are two different factory bar setups based on early or late production.

Looks like you need both the bar and the LCAs and will likely require some bushing work and an alignment to get back to the factory setup.

...but if that's not important to you, refer to the first line.

It's a better performing bar and it's way easy to install without any other purchase or work.

Here's another option offered by Hotchkis that I will be using. Below is a screenshot from their website.

1706109805253.png

Don't the OEM tabs attach here-

1706111922932.png

The OP might not even have the correct bar.

I welded a flat piece of metal like that to a couple of control arms on this car:

Dart blue 1.jpg

The end links do have bushings in them though. I've driven the car on and off road since 2005, sideways drifts on dirt roads mainly. The setup has held up well. It isn't pretty or elegant but it works for a car this ugly.

Interesting, thanks.

My Coronet is where I circled.

I welded a flat piece of metal like that to a couple of control arms on this car:

View attachment 1597398

The end links do have bushings in them though. I've driven the car on and off road since 2005, sideways drifts on dirt roads mainly. The setup has held up well. It isn't pretty or elegant but it works for a car this ugly.
Might be ugly to you but it's a car that I wouldn't mind having....and would drive it as is so long as it ran good.

NOT an ugly car.

CA and "dry state" guys have a funny sense of what "ugly" is and what a "rust bucket" is.

Might be ugly to you but it's a car that I wouldn't mind having....and would drive it as is so long as it ran good.
I don't mind the ugly with that car. It is a lot of fun on dirt trails. The car handles great and can pitch sideways with great control. To paint it would really cut down on what fun I have with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back