• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood pins

Topline

Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
I am going to use hood pins on my satellite. I am putting on a Roadrunner hood. When hood pins are used do I still need the latch and hood release cable?? Please educate me. Thanks

Need them, no. Not if pins are installed correctly. But, anybody that comes along could pop your hood without them. Sounds like you are just after the look, so really no good reason to delete them, to me.

I am going to use hood pins on my satellite. I am putting on a Roadrunner hood. When hood pins are used do I still need the latch and hood release cable?? Please educate me. Thanks
There are hood pins and there are things referred to as hood pins. The only ones to buy for a professional look that don't rust and look shabby with time are the "Ring Brothers" brand. Anything else is just cheap crap.

I kept the latch on mine. heard too many horror stories about guys forgetting the pins until the hood flew off. and get the factory pins, not the rust before you get them out of the package Autozone ones.

I use the aluminum ones from Summit on my race car (150mph). Light, no corosion issues. They're cheap as well.
Doug

Referring to my 70 RR, which came with factory hood pins, the hood latch is still there and I suggest you keep yours unless it's a 100% track car (weight reduction). You DO NOT want your hood coming off on the highway and back into (& through) the windshield (I've seen it).

At least on 70's the factory hood pins replace two of the "hood latch attachment sheet metal, behind the grill, goes side-to-side on the car" (can't remember name) bolts. There are two larger bolts on each side of this piece of sheet metal. The factory hood pins replace two of those bolts.

I use the aluminum ones from Summit on my race car (150mph). Light, no corosion issues. They're cheap as well.
Doug
I've got the stainless Summit set, no issues.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do cars with factory hood pins also have the release cable? Or just the latch. My sat. came with a broken cable and bracket. So if it doesn't need to go back it won't.

Last edited:
My satellite (68) only came with a latch, no cable-operated release mechanism. I removed it and use only pins in the front, with lighter springs attached to my factory hinges in the rear..it's a fiberglass hood. Legend has it that it's rumored to allegedly have gone well over 100 mph, no lifting of the hood at all. Aluminum here also..

There are hood pins and there are things referred to as hood pins. The only ones to buy for a professional look that don't rust and look shabby with time are the "Ring Brothers" brand. Anything else is just cheap crap.

You forgot to add,"in my opinion". As you can see, there are other opinions and other brands of quality pins. Blanket statements like that highlighted above are rarely given any credence...IMO

Thanks for the suggestions. Do cars with factory hood pins also have the release cable? Or just the latch. My sat. came with a broken cable and bracket. So if it doesn't need to go back it won't.
From the factory, some cars had the cable and some didn't... Not sure if they began adding them in a certain year or if it just depended on options etc... I do believe though, that if your car was equipped with a release cable originally, you will need it to pop the latch, as that style latch won't be able to be opened by hand from outside the car

You forgot to add,"in my opinion". As you can see, there are other opinions and other brands of quality pins. Blanket statements like that highlighted above are rarely given any credence...IMO

tZuKjh5.png

Sorry dave for the confusion with my Gary Coleman... the site didn't show me the post you were actually referring to..

Factory pins on mine. The latch is still in tact. The safety catch was removed a stored years ago.
Got tired of beating my head on it.

God I hate that. A-bodies the hoods go up higher but the E/B bodies that dam safety latch has left a many a gouge in my head.
On 70-up cars I'd use the factory hood pins and keep the latch install, especially an inside release.

Factory pins on mine. The latch is still in tact. The safety catch was removed a stored years ago.
Same here, that hook of death got me too many times (70 GTX).

I don't consider my especially smart, but I haven't hit the hook for years.

Not so at all, I have Hotchkis and they are the *******. All billet aluminum with stainless steel pins that are self locking (no goofy clip) and look slick.

I left my latch in tact but removed the head spike!!! Stabbed to many times..

Auto Transport Service
Back