• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Water heater leak

steve from staten island

Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
I was never so happy that i had to change a hot water heater today. My mother in law had her central air unit replaced and we discovered her hot water heater was changed when the original AC unit was installed 18 years ago. I made the mistake of telling her we needed to now change the hot water heater. Mom said no she needed to save up the money (not true). I told her i was paying. No way she said again. I'll wait awhile was the reply i got. The problem is mom is almost 92 and can be difficult. She refuses to year a medical alert, says she carries the cordless so why pay for that thing. I told her i do not want her going downstairs every day to check the heater as i knew she would do just that. So luck was with me and she called this mourning and told me it was leaking. I changed it and she's happy and so am i. Now if i can talk her into a stackable washer dryer in the kitchen so she doesnt have to go down those stairs i will be really happy. Seriously it is a real concern. She just started to use a cane and that was only because my wife can no longer support her when they go out. She is getting frail but still cooks and does her wash. We do as much as we can but its still a worry. I hope I'm more reasonable at her age if i reach her age

If you end up getting new washer and dryer HH Gregg is going out of business, my brother in law basically stole a brand new LG washer and dryer from them.

She wont hear it. Ive tried so hard to talk sense into her. I found my own mother in her apartment dead and i told her ( mom in law) i dont want the same for her. She tells me she only goes down there once a week to do wash and takes the phone. We keep in touch with her all the time and during the day of course. Just another thing to worry about

You don't get to be 92 by being a push over, :lol:
I can relate, my grandma lived to 99 & 9 months she was in her own home up until 98.
Tuff as a nail , I miss her a lot.

92... God bless her... But I think she likes to do those tasks just to keep her self-esteem, and she feels "able". My father in law was like that.

I was never so happy that i had to change a hot water heater today. My mother in law had her central air unit replaced and we discovered her hot water heater was changed when the original AC unit was installed 18 years ago. I made the mistake of telling her we needed to now change the hot water heater. Mom said no she needed to save up the money (not true). I told her i was paying. No way she said again. I'll wait awhile was the reply i got. The problem is mom is almost 92 and can be difficult. She refuses to year a medical alert, says she carries the cordless so why pay for that thing. I told her i do not want her going downstairs every day to check the heater as i knew she would do just that. So luck was with me and she called this mourning and told me it was leaking. I changed it and she's happy and so am i. Now if i can talk her into a stackable washer dryer in the kitchen so she doesnt have to go down those stairs i will be really happy. Seriously it is a real concern. She just started to use a cane and that was only because my wife can no longer support her when they go out. She is getting frail but still cooks and does her wash. We do as much as we can but its still a worry. I hope I'm more reasonable at her age if i reach her age

Why would you want to heat hot water, it's hot already? Oh you mean water heater.

If you make it to easy they get upset thinking your trying to get them from doing stuff all together ,kinda like steps of them loosing there own ability of doing stuff . The old man I'm taking care of is like that . I tried to make it so stuff is Easier for him but he freaking refuse s
I let it go until I see it as being to dangerous for him . God bless her at her age doing stuff still . Just keep a close eye on her and let her be .

My uncle was the same going down stairs to do his wash at 86.... his kids finally stepped in and moved the washer/dryer into a spare bedroom over his objections .. he was pissed, but shortly thereafter found it convenient ..still pissed, he confessed to me he should of had it done himself .. got to love them

Yeah, I was lucky my mom's parents lived into there early ninety's. Grandpa was a little ornery but was active and did his stuff until he developed a brain bleeder. Was only a couple weeks after that that he passed away. Grandma needed a little more help from my mom but sounds a lot like your mother-in-law. As long as she's careful, let her do what she's going to do but keep a good eye on her. Good luck and god bless you all.

Maybe you can help the Washer/dryer stop working and then have to buy a new one????? :lol:

Maybe you can help the Washer/dryer stop working and then have to buy a new one?????
Kinda like accidently opening that drain valve on the WH?
"Hey mom, funny coincidence, those durned ("insert her opposite political party here") politicians like to pass silly laws, this new one now says all W/D must be installed on the ground floor."

She cannot refuse a new W/D if it's a Mother's Day gift.

Auto Transport Service
Back