• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I replace driver window

Griffsyj

Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
I've got a 1967 4 door coronet 440, and I shattered the drivers window. I've got the door panel off and all the glass cleaned up...but for the life of me I cannot see how this new piece of glass goes into the door.do I need to take the top part of the window frame apart or something? Any guidance would be much appreciated

If it is like a 68 and 69 you need to take the vent window frame out. There are several bolts covered by plastic plugs around the vent window frame including one on the bottom of door. You also need to remove the two attachments at the bottom of the window then you wiggle the vent window frame out of the door.

This is good stuff. I just finished refurbing the rear window mechanism and re-installing - a real PITA. Not looking forward to the fronts.

I can get the window out of my 66 sedan in 15 minutes including taking the door panel off. Taking out the vent wing is the only way I do it. Mine is a 2dr sedan but the 4 door should be the same.

Yes, the service manual says to remove the wing window and side window together.

If its like my 68. The window slides up the trac of the vent wing. Had to put the vent wing in with the side glass slid in place. Real pain trying not to ruin your paint. Tape the hell out of your car so you dont scratch anything. Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's help to visualize how this thing works...it literally took me 20mins. Completely awesome! The only thing I did differently than the instructions was once I got the quarter window out, I slide the new pane into the door before reinstalling the quarter window. It was easier for me to do that by myself, than to install the window, and quarter window in at the same time

Figured the 4 dr window frame might be a bit more tight than my 2 dr sedan frame but probably not much more. Good deal! I like working on these older cars as they are really easy.....at least for me. You should try your hand at R&R an E body door glass lol

Thanks for the link to our Blog! If there are other repairs you'd like to see photos of let me know. I've got a big library of photos to work with. ~Molly

Thanks for the link to our Blog! If there are other repairs you'd like to see photos of let me know. I've got a big library of photos to work with. ~Molly

Great web site; lots of interesting and useful tips. Beautiful restorations.

Auto Transport Service
Back