• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How strong are the axles on an 8 3/4

eagleone1983

Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
So I was trying to seperate the third member from the rear end yesterday while the rear end was sitting on a couple of jacks and one side of the rear end slipped off. The I don't think the axle hit first but was slide out about a couple of inches before it fell. I'm thinking the backing plate to the brakes hit first. They fell about 8 inches or so, should I be worried the axle is bent? I looked it over the best I could and it doesn't appear to have any problems. These things are pretty heavy duty so I'm sure I'm just being a worry wart.

Good to hear, they are a hell of a lot heavier than I thought. Not too mention the weight of that third member...good thing I'm a young guy, I don't think I'd have been able to get out of bed this morning if I wasn't.

I assume the rear end is out of the car....?

So I was trying to seperate the third member from the rear end yesterday while the rear end was sitting on a couple of jacks and one side of the rear end slipped off. The I don't think the axle hit first but was slide out about a couple of inches before it fell. I'm thinking the backing plate to the brakes hit first. They fell about 8 inches or so, should I be worried the axle is bent? I looked it over the best I could and it doesn't appear to have any problems. These things are pretty heavy duty so I'm sure I'm just being a worry wart.
I've dropped axle shafts without problems, so stop worrying your warts ! And thank you for your service.

Yeah the axle is out of the car and I've stopped worrying :). On another note I already received all my new parts from Dr.Diff in just two days, sweet. I'll be dropping off the pumpkin and axles to the shop hopefully today. Then, taking the rear end housing to the media blaster and get her powdered.

Auto Transport Service
Back