• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to fix tail light housing tabs?

Piranhaz

Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
I searched for this and couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm not searching the right words because it seems like a common problem. Actually have two questions. On my 66 Coronet, two of the three tabs that hold the tail light housing to the quarter extension are broken off. Is there any kind of a fix? Seems every used housing I find for sale has broken tabs.
Also, if I have a broken tail light lens with good chrome, is there any way to remove it and install on a good tail light lens? Looks like it has two little studs that are swaged or something.

:xscuseless:

I need to see photos. I'm not familiar with that year so don't know if you're talking about metal or plastic. Either one is fixable.

:xscuseless:

I need to see photos. I'm not familiar with that year so don't know if you're talking about metal or plastic. Either one is fixable.
Sorry. So there are supposed to be 90* tabs that go where I show in my pics and then you bolt them into the quarter extensions.
SH7PpzioJGiE6vX0khcSeAyk1ELoTxHhyeeKFsz9i5cQyBXolBTxjibEBkoaoLWxUd0gdWFJ=w608-h779-no?authuser=0.jpg
yzCcA8wnQWAzwVgzn4d7CYOC0zcVf56Gw4YPDRvWuOLiUzzSGp6fQBha4rN3Ftks4JzAqU0P=w607-h772-no?authuser=0.jpg

you could fabricate a thin piece of metal in the exact shape of the tab needed, and use a good adhesive to glue it to the existing remainder of the tab on the part

Well, the photos didn't load well but here's my advice (2¢): go to Plastex.net and look at their repair kits and videos. This stuff is amazing. I've used it for plastic AND metal. It's tough as sh*t and piss easy to use. Any dope can use it and I'm proof! They show how to reinforce with wire and other material.

Well, the photos didn't load well but here's my advice (2¢): go to Plastex.net and look at their repair kits and videos. This stuff is amazing. I've used it for plastic AND metal. It's tough as sh*t and piss easy to use. Any dope can use it and I'm proof! They show how to reinforce with wire and other material.
I'll take a look. These tabs are just so dang small that there isn't much to attach to. Just a poor original design IMO.

I'll take a look. These tabs are just so dang small that there isn't much to attach to. Just a poor original design IMO.

That's not that small. I've fixed stuff a lot smaller than that. Make sure it's clean before you use anything.

Auto Transport Service
Back