• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove 318 oil sender

johneich

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
I searched this forum, google and my shop manual, page 9-25 shows Oil pan and pump but not sender. Will a crows foot do it, I can not get an open end on it.

Crows foot will work. I used a old wrench as a doner 50 years ago and bent it to a 90 degree. Still in my box waiting for action.

Oil sender socket?

Thanks all for being so prompt! It is a gauge sender, I should have said that. I had a bad gauge I just bought a new generic aftermarket gauge and it works now. Shows 80 psi with engine at very cold start, 45 F degrees, at idle, sounds high to me for a 318. But at least it shows zero at engine off so I have some indication of oil pressure. Though I have heard of 60 psi on cold start so maybe I am not too far off. This car is just getting on the road so I need to know the basics. On to the aftermarket temp. gauge to stock sender, is there a gauge/light difference in temp. senders also?
Replacing it? Pipe wrench
I was not sure it was bad, is there an in car test for a oil sender? I thought it was 100% continuity from terminal to groung but that is not correct as my new sender has zero continuity top to bottom. I did hook my new sender to a new gauge and blew air into it, all good. The gauge was bad and I have a new gauge in it now. I understand a pipe wrench could have gotten it out but I might have destroyed a good sender. or is it a sensor?

Auto Transport Service
Back