• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurst Shifter Interchange

John Milner

Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a GM style Hurst Competition Plus shifter on their A833 4 speed? My Mopar Hurst flat stick shifter is wore completely out and will not shift out of reverse unless I crawl under the car and shift it by hand. I currently have an extra GM style like is pictured in great shape that I was wanting to use on my 69 Road Runner. The current Mopar Hurst shifter has a different looking reverse arm that curves back some. This one is straighter. I see no problem with 1-4 gears as far as how the shifter arms are made. I just thought I would ask before I crawl under the car and swap the shifter out to try it. Thanks

hurst shifter.jpg

Just to follow back up in case anyone else ever wants to know, a GM style will work fine. Thanks

Unless I am mistaken, Hurst has a rebuild service if you want to keep that shifter.

Just to follow back up in case anyone else ever wants to know, a GM style will work fine. Thanks
The adapter plate, levers and shift rods make it work on a Mopar.

You can probably swap in your reverse lever (if it isn't worn out) into that new shifter. Also if the reverse lever hole is wallowed out (most likely your problem) you can weld it semi closed and redrill it, that should repair it.

Unless I am mistaken, Hurst has a rebuild service if you want to keep that shifter.
Actually Hurst no longer rebuilds their shifters. They are rebuilt by the Shifter Doctor in South Carolina. In fact the Shifter Doctor was always the rebuilder. When Hurst offered the rebuild service they would send the shifters to him to rebuild. Restored OEM Hurst Shifter & Kits - Shifter Doc

As does Jamie Passon.

Auto Transport Service
Back