• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a Dodge Dakota quad cab

cbodybob

Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
So my old Grand Caravan needs to be retired. I started a search in this crazy era of overpriced cars. I found this truck & went to check it out. Lot of miles but everything works on it. 4.7 V8 with power everything. 4X4 too. So this truck will replace the mini van in my vehicle line up once I get a tonneau cover on it. I paid cash. Now the mini van. 3.3 V6 runs great. I doubt I could get $500 for it so I think I’ll rebuild it. Get the air working again, gas gauge, it’s got a short that drains the battery, PCM is wonky, one door lock doesn’t work, hood & bumper damaged, clear coat peeling, paint fading, tires bad, needs alignment, struts, oil pan & trans pan leak, could use a new front engine mount, serpentine belt, polish or replace headlights, coolant leak, I think radiator, replace all the hoses, probably something else I’ve forgot. Spend about $2500-3500 & it would be good to go. Even though it has 185 thousand a newer used work van with say 40 K miles will run 20 thousand & up. Nobody would buy it after fixing all that stuff so just keep it for a back up & something to drive. Might even put a paint job on it. Single stage to get it looking nice too.

9ABBC09C-A8AE-44CC-B069-1C178B980B87.jpeg

706D5A5E-0F77-4504-BF92-9916856ABEDE.jpeg

Those 4.7’s tend to blow a hg as mileage goes up usually from getting too hot. So if I were you, water, hoses, thermostat and a flush would be on my list.

Nice looking Dakota 4x4 4 dr "Sport"
good lil' trucks

I love my 1999 SLT extra cab 5.2ltr/318cid Magnum 4x4,
62k miles since new 23 years now
a bunch of bolt-on stuff, bigger better 32" M&S tires
3" cat-back Flowmaster, AEM airbox, 4" intake & swirl TB spacer
1.7 ratio HS rockers, Hypertech tuner etc.
all really woke it up, for driving here in the (elevation)
mountains & sticks or doing 4x4 stuff

Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looking Dakota 4x4 4 dr "Sport"
good lil' trucks

I love my 1999 SLT extra cab 5.2ltr/318cid Magnum 4x4,
62k miles since new 23 years now
a bunch of bolt-on stuff, bigger better 32" M&S tires
3" cat-back Flowmaster, AEM airbox, 4" intake & swirl TB spacer
1.7 ratio HS rockers, Hypertech tuner etc.
all really woke it up, for driving here in the (elevation)
mountains & sticks or doing 4x4 stuff

View attachment 1304541
Nice looking as well

Hey, you'll like that truck!

I bought mine last July as a basket case. The 4.7 is known for dropped valve seats, shooting rockers out from under the cam and when they loose timing chain tension as in a broken tensioner or guide, the valves do hit the top of the piston. That's what happened to the one I bought. One of the three chains jumped and bent the valves on the one bank.

After replacing both heads with rebuilt ones and timing chains, the motor sounds and runs quite well. Then after moving it for the first time I noticed a noisy rear. The pinion bearings were toast. The 9.25 rear is known for this. I totally rebuilt the rear with new ring and pinion, bearings and seals. Then the front cab mounts needed replacing so I tackled that job. All in all I only have about half of what they sell for on today's market into it. It was definitely worth saving. I really like it.
20220404_182200.jpg

Yours looks like it could be rust free. Don't see any bubbles around the back wheel housings. Cab mounts and rockers are the other problematic areas. When new all that one would have to do would be to remove the tail lights and spray rust preventative into the quarters and around the fender seam. The rockers have numerous plugs that can be removed and rust preventative can be sprayed in there. The problem with the front cab mounts is water and debris come off the front tires and right into a hole in the front. It collects there and of course holds the moisture. If these areas are protected the body and bed would last a long time. Just making you aware of some of their quirks so you can take precautions. They are great trucks!

Hey, you'll like that truck!

I bought mine last July as a basket case. The 4.7 is known for dropped valve seats, shooting rockers out from under the cam and when they loose timing chain tension as in a broken tensioner or guide, the valves do hit the top of the piston. That's what happened to the one I bought. One of the three chains jumped and bent the valves on the one bank.

After replacing both heads with rebuilt ones and timing chains, the motor sounds and runs quite well. Then after moving it for the first time I noticed a noisy rear. The pinion bearings were toast. The 9.25 rear is known for this. I totally rebuilt the rear with new ring and pinion, bearings and seals. Then the front cab mounts needed replacing so I tackled that job. All in all I only have about half of what they sell for on today's market into it. It was definitely worth saving. I really like it.
View attachment 1304600
Yours looks like it could be rust free. Don't see any bubbles around the back wheel housings. Cab mounts and rockers are the other problematic areas. When new all that one would have to do would be to remove the tail lights and spray rust preventative into the quarters and around the fender seam. The rockers have numerous plugs that can be removed and rust preventative can be sprayed in there. The problem with the front cab mounts is water and debris come off the front tires and right into a hole in the front. It collects there and of course holds the moisture. If these areas are protected the body and bed would last a long time. Just making you aware of some of their quirks so you can take precautions. They are great trucks!
Thank you yea it’s pretty clean. There’s a video on my YouTube channel of me & one of my buds looking it over. I had an 02 about 10 years ago. 4.7 quad 4X4 & traded it for a Rumble Bee. Always missed that truck. So I’m pleased to have another.

Good trucks. I wish I still had my 01 but it was a 2.5. Word of advice on the 4.7. Don’t get it too hot. If it overheating shut it down. The heads expand faster than the seats and the valve seats will fall out. They don’t fall past the valve but will hold it open.

Good trucks. I wish I still had my 01 but it was a 2.5. Word of advice on the 4.7. Don’t get it too hot. If it overheating shut it down. The heads expand faster than the seats and the valve seats will fall out. They don’t fall past the valve but will hold it open.
Yep that’s what I’ve heard

Auto Transport Service
Back