• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was unaware that we came this close to extinction.....

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
The Extinction Event That Once Reduced Humanity To 1,300 People
Story by Richard Milner •
3h

The next time you walk down a packed city street, stroll around a mall, or wade through a concert crowd take a look around and ask yourself, "What if these people were the only people alive?" As in: take that group of people and disperse it across the entire globe, and that's the entirety of Earth's human population across every settlement, tribe, industry, profession, and more. We'll put it this way: You'd better hope there's at least one medical doctor in there, or one person who knows how to grow crops, or one person with mechanical know-how. And if some great disaster happens at that point? Well, this whole human consciousness and civilization experiment might just be gone for good.

In fact, this exact scenario already happened. Granted, back then civilization was still at the hunter-forager phase, so there was arguably much less to lose, including anyone whining about things like sub-par pumpkin spice lattes. This at-risk phase didn't last for 20 years or even 200, though. As a recent article from the journal Science says, it lasted for about 117,000 years. From 930,000 to 813,000 years ago environmental conditions on Earth funneled our human ancestors into a protracted "population bottleneck." The entirety of the human population, all on the African continent, got culled from an already mere 100,000 to about 1,280 "breeding individuals," i.e., members of the species capable of producing offspring. But, these hardy folks survived, and if something similar happens to us, so should we.

To be clear, when we talk about "humans" almost going extinct 900,000 to 800,000 years ago, we're not talking about anatomically modern Homo sapiens. As Smithsonian Magazine outlines, we've tallied 22 different human species going all the way back to 7 million years ago and Sahelanthropus tchadensis, the first human in west central Africa to show signs of upright posture and smaller canine teeth. By the time the population bottleneck happened the key human species on the scene was Homo erectus, the most successful and long-surviving human species that existed all the way from 1.89 million to 110,000 years ago.

It's Homo erectus who bore the brunt of the population bottleneck. The Guardian speculates that the extreme pressure to survive and the environmental conditions of the time might have directly contributed to speciation -- the branch-like divergence of different species -- and the rise of subsequent human species: Homo heidelbergensis (the first humans to control fire), Homo neanderthalensis (our closest human cousins), and us, Homo sapiens. A handy species family tree at Smithsonian Magazine outlines the speciation of humanity through time, including during the recently discovered population bottleneck.

Professor Chris Stringer at the Natural Museum of London told The Guardian of the 117,000-year-long bottleneck and its 1280-human population, "It's an extraordinary length of time. It's remarkable that we did get through at all. For a population of that size, you just need one bad climate event, an epidemic, a volcanic eruption and you're gone."

Popular Science has a fairly detailed diagram showing humanity's population numbers going back about 1 million years, which overlaps with Earth's Pleistocene Era, a span of time stretching all the way from about 2.5 million years ago to a scant 11,700 years ago. This was an era when the polar ice sheets stretched all the way down to southern Italy at 37 degrees north and receded very, very slowly. The end of the Pleistocene Era, which marked the beginning of the modern Holocene era, very non-coincidentally coincided with the first marks of human agriculture and advanced civilization in the Middle East, as the journal PNAS on the National Library of Medicine outlines.

As the Popular Science diagram shows, there were about 98,130 humans alive prior to about 930,000 years ago, which shrunk to 1,280 people for 117,000 years. After this the population stayed at a stable, but still meager, 21,160 all the way to Homo sapiens' mass exodus from the African continent about 100,000 years ago.

These kinds of finds only became recently possible thanks to a genetic sequencing method that researchers dubbed "FitCoal:" fast infinitesimal time coalescent process, per Popular Science. Researchers only needed genetic samples from 3,154 current people to trace genetic markers all the way back to the bottleneck period. Previously, archaeologists had discovered a severe lack of fossils from the time period in question, which thanks to the work of the current study now makes a lot more sense.

I was just reading about this on my own a week or so ago. I always like history of giant volcanic explosions. I was at Paulina lake caldera area in Oregon a month ago checking out the lava rocks there. That dead spot is a lava flow from 1300 years ago.
IMG_7166.jpeg

Keep in mind the academics presenting these scientific facts also believe there are 37 genders and you can change between them as much as you like.

I don't believe there's any truth to "Out of Africa." Homo Sapiens is far, far older than academia says. There were more hominids than have been discovered or acknowledged, and interbreeding with them produced our modern assortment of "races." You have to figure this out for yourself because the truth upsets too many apple carts.

How can they really be sure of the population numbers from 2,500,000 - 117,000 years ago? Did the Dead Sea Scrolls have an accurate census count?

How scary would it be to be part of only that small handful of people on todays earth? knowing MY luck, all but me would be flaming Liberal Democrats and trans/ whatevers...lol.

Once they find the writings of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, all those questions will be answered.

How scary would it be to be part of only that small handful of people on todays earth? knowing MY luck, all but me would be flaming Liberal Democrats and trans/ whatevers...lol.
1702129429373.png

Just your luck she would be liberal.

An interesting story.
The same people say the pyramids are burial tombs built with copper tools from materials found miles and miles away.

Bad things have happened a lot more recently than this article. The Sumerians took time to make stone writings with things as mundane as a recipe for beer.
However they also left writings about the pituitary gland that "science has not figured out yet" (yeah, so we are told) and a lot of other things that were quickly scurried off to vaults like the vatican.

Things can definately be a rabbit hole.

In more recent times from the 1960's on we came close to nuclear extinction a few times, one was 20 seconds away.

Can it be science if you can't disagree or question it ?
how would they possibly know it was only like 1,200 "humans" ?

I question all their #s & facts...

who paid for that study, usually that fact makes for an outcome in their favor

I side with this thought...
D) if you can not question it's not science it's propaganda.jpg

it may be true but how can they or we prove it
we or they can't

D) CASH A liberals understanding of SCIENCE.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back