• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identifying a 383

WikedCharger

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1968 Dodge Charger. I was told that the engine that was in the car (not running) was not the original. It's a 4 barrel engine and the marking on the left side is 2468130*11 LL. I can't see any other information other than 7L on the back. The second engine is one I bought and I was told it was a 1969 383 2 barrel with the marking 2468130*3 LL (with 3*18*65) under it and 6L on the back.

The numbers on the pad next to the distributor are so faint I can't read them. Is there any information to be deciphered from these numbers? Thanks!!

1969 Dodge 383.jpg

1968 Dodge 383.jpg

Thanks, but the numbers are either so faint or missing and I can't read anything there. Was asking if anything can be determined from the casting numbers on the side of the block?

Thanks, but the numbers are either so faint or missing and I can't read anything there. Was asking if anything can be determined from the casting numbers on the side of the block?
Just the cast # and date.
Did you really try cleaning up the pad, maybe a magnifying glass

Your top pic says 3-18-65 so thats not a 68 production block being that far off. Most likely a late 65 production.

On the supposed 68 engine look for numbers stamped on the blocks bell housing area by the oil sender.

2468130 means 383 casting..... L.L. is there too. Its an early 383. The machine stamp pad could be ruined on any low deck block if any machining has been done.

Ok, so did some more checking and the engine that came in my 1968 Charger (not saying it's original) has a date of 6/13/68. The car was factory equipped with a 383 and 4 barrel. This engine is a 68 block and also a 4 barrel. I was able to clean the engine pad a little more and take a picture. Looks like a D3*3 so assuming D383 and a 20 under it. My other question is which oil pan is correct for a 68' Charger. I'm assuming it's a mid mount sump oil pickup (and NOT a front sump pickup) but wanted to confirm. Also, the 68' engine has exhaust manifolds with both exits in the back while the 65' engine has the passenger side exhaust in the back and the driver side in the middle. Finally, what is that port on the top of the engine on each side. Was full of debris. Never seen that on my chevys and fords. I hope the pictures help with the questions.

1968 383 block date.jpg

1968 engine ID pad.jpg

1968 383 oil pan mid sump.jpg

1965 383 front sump pan.jpg

1968 383 driver exhaust.jpg

1968 383 front.jpg

383 Manifold port.jpg

1968 383 top.jpg

Ok, so did some more checking and the engine that came in my 1968 Charger (not saying it's original) has a date of 6/13/68. The car was factory equipped with a 383 and 4 barrel. This engine is a 68 block and also a 4 barrel. I was able to clean the engine pad a little more and take a picture. Looks like a D3*3 so assuming D383 and a 20 under it.
If the car has a fender tag see what the build date was.
My other question is which oil pan is correct for a 68' Charger. I'm assuming it's a mid mount sump oil pickup (and NOT a front sump pickup) but wanted to confirm
a mid sump 402 pan should be correct.
That front sump deal must be a truck pan mounted backwards (?)
. Also, the 68' engine has exhaust manifolds with both exits in the back while the 65' engine has the passenger side exhaust in the back and the driver side in the middle.
your car should have come with a 3/4 back passenger outlet and a driver side rear outlet.
Finally, what is that port on the top of the engine on each side. Was full of debris. Never seen that on my chevys and fords. I hope the pictures help with the questions.
Those open ports are for cooling around the heat crossover ports

With that pan it was not in a 68 b-body.
Did you look for numbers on the bell area by the oil sender?

Last edited:
Truck engine mount brackets and Truck oil pan…

I agree, the 1965 383 engine came out of a D100, or at least that is what the seller told me. As for the 1968 383, that was in the car when I bought it but not mounted just resting in the car. I'm trying to decide which engine to use and take the best parts from both. I'm leaning towards the 4 barrel 1968 engine since it's more correct for the car. But I think that one still has the wrong exhausts since both sides have the rear exhaust pictured above. Is there a fitment reason why these rear exhaust manifolds will not fit? Should I just get a set of short headers? Thanks again for all the help.

Sometimes if you clean that pad, lay a piece of paper over it and side scratch a pencil around, it may help reveal any markings the naked eye can’t distinguish. Gives it that extra contrast. Sometimes not too!

Thanks for all the replies. I will give the pencil and paper on the pad a try. I did think about the HP manifolds...but the car is already costing me an arm and a leg and it's not even running yet so trying to use anything I already have. So glad I can use the rear exit exhaust already on the engine. Thanks!!

best bet for which engine to use would be a compression test. Unless you’re planning an overhaul.

Thanks for all the replies. I will give the pencil and paper on the pad a try. I did think about the HP manifolds...but the car is already costing me an arm and a leg and it's not even running yet so trying to use anything I already have. So glad I can use the rear exit exhaust already on the engine. Thanks!!

There is no such thing as "HP" manifolds so don't waste your money or time looking for them. There are 2 bbl and 4 bbl manifolds. There are no manifolds specific to the HP version of the 68-70 383. ANY 4bbl manifolds from any relatively similar application will work. They can come from a 383-4 Belvedere four door to a 440 Charger R/T.

A VIN on a '68, if stamped, is on the back of the block. With that late of a casting, the car could have been built at Hamtramck or St. Louis plant. Either way, you should probably find the VIN.

68_Exhaust_Manifolds_edit.jpg
68_Charger_VIN_Engine_Trans.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back