• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

indy heads

coronet65

Local time
1:22 PM
Reaction score
Just finished my engine,put it on the dyno warmed it up and did one run and nothing but white smoke.Dyno operator says indy heads have pin holes in runners where they ported into water jacket.These are big easy heads.Does this sound right.I am 3 hrs away so I wasn't there.Could it not be a head gsk.I have mls gsk on it.Its a 440 stroked to 540.What shoud I do.I would hope he pressured checked them,but don't know. Any thoughts would help.Is this common with big easy heads? Thanks coronet65

Just finished my engine,put it on the dyno warmed it up and did one run and nothing but white smoke.Dyno operator says indy heads have pin holes in runners where they ported into water jacket.These are big easy heads.Does this sound right.I am 3 hrs away so I wasn't there.Could it not be a head gsk.I have mls gsk on it.Its a 440 stroked to 540.What shoud I do.I would hope he pressured checked them,but don't know. Any thoughts would help.Is this common with big easy heads? Thanks coronet65

Just throwing this out there. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I have heard that mls on aluminum heads were a no no. Hope others chime in.

I hope they weren't put on right out of the box. I have seen problems with seats out quite a bit, also, I have seen where they needed to be milled to get them square. All Indy products need to be gone through quite extensively before installing them.
I had a set of 572-13 where 1 side of the heads weren't drilled deep enough for the proper depth for the sparkplugs.

- - - Updated - - -

Just throwing this out there. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I have heard that mls on aluminum heads were a no no. Hope others chime in.

When you say LS ,are you referring to Cometics? If so, I use Cometics on all my indy heads

Porting aluminum is easy to go too far... and it's hard to test for water pressure vacuum under heat and torque load... hopefully big easy makes good on it.

They have been gone through by a very reputable engine builder that we all have heard of.Yes I meant cometic gsk.

I hope they weren't put on right out of the box. I have seen problems with seats out quite a bit, also, I have seen where they needed to be milled to get them square. All Indy products need to be gone through quite extensively before installing them.
I had a set of 572-13 where 1 side of the heads weren't drilled deep enough for the proper depth for the sparkplugs.

- - - Updated - - -

When you say LS ,are you referring to Cometics? If so, I use Cometics on all my indy heads
Not necessarily refering to cometic. Just multi layered steel in general. Its probably bad for subsequent builds as the may dig into the aluminum. So that may not be the problem here.

I use MLS gaskets on my ally heads, cometic brand, work perfectly fine

Pull the intake manifold and spark plugs and pressure test the engine while it is on the dyno. You'll find your leak.

pinholes in the intake runners, water leaks
that would really suck,
hope they can be easily fixed welded or epoxied...

good luck

Threads like this make me like my 1995 dated ported Mopar Stage VI heads even more. Still no cracks, leaks, or any issues. I still haven't raced the car but when I bolted them on together with a heavily ported M1 intake..... it feels like a 100hp N2O shot increase over the previous mild hand ported 906's.

What got me is how raised the runners are, seems like 1" to me over a 906 head. and the non max wedge size port entry retains some good airspeed. The heads are still huge inside once passing the intake manifold face.. so too are the exhaust ports, raised also

Im almost wanting to build a 572ci just to see what these heads can do on it

- - - Updated - - -

I bought them used, after finding this thread..

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=7313367

- - - Updated - - -

QUote from that thread: And I was told the stageVI is crap

I always wondered myself how the stage vi got such a bad rep when you see cars run such impressive et's with them

I still remember seeing one 440 A-body race going 9.8s n/a, with a hand ported set stage 6's, non max wedge, just a basic 'old' 590' solid... back around 1998 and thinking for what it was it was damn fast. and no ported 906 or 915 headed solid cam 440 could get anywhere near the 9's

there's physics involved in cylinder head flow more than just a peak bench number... some of the fastest heads have been built around trying different port shapes and valve angles and then racing the car constantly to see what et's the best

Auto Transport Service
Back