• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing Power Steering

Blap56

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to add power steering to my 65 Belvedere. Have any of you done this? Which set up did you use? I am not trying to race it (Strictly cruising) so the extra weight is not a concern. Manual brakes are fine for me, just need that steering ease.

I am looking to add power steering to my 65 Belvedere. Have any of you done this? Which set up did you use? I am not trying to race it (Strictly cruising) so the extra weight is not a concern. Manual brakes are fine for me, just need that steering ease.
I did this on a '70, so some parts are slightly different, but basically you need the power steering gear box, power steering pump, p/s pump brackets, p/s hoses, different pitman arm (on '70 anyway) & the big thing is the steering column itself. At least in '70, the power steering column's "center shaft" is shorter vs. a non-power steering column.... basically, you need a p/s column or at least the shorter "center shaft from a power steering equipped car....finding the column is the toughest part. There's quite a few parts, but the changeover really isn't "that bad" to do....maybe a couple weekends worth of work?

Auto Transport Service
Back