• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

instrument panel removal

cwhubb

Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
I looked at the forums but couldnt find info about taking the gauge panel off of a 70 charger, how do you do it? I have the screws out and its loose but somethings holding it in.and do you have to reach behind the gauges and disconnect them first? my gauges went wonky and pegged out the other day so I want to check the connections and grounds
thanks for any info

the speedo was the only thing that didnt spaz out, the fuel,temp,oil,alternator gauges all pegged at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

the speedo was the only thing that didnt spaz out, the fuel,oil pressure and voltage gauges pegged

Sounds like the voltage limiter may have crapped out, you need to unhook the
amp gauge, headlight switch wiring and speedo from behind then drop the steering column. Be sure to unhook the battery.

1970GTX is right about the speedo cable, but when I changed my wiring harness I didn't have to drop the steering column.
Your wiring harness is held in place by rubber coated soft-metal bend over clamps, so find those clamps under the dash and open them up and the harness will loosen up.
I was able to pull my gauge panel out onto the steering column so I could make note of where all the wires were before I disconnected them from the gauges.

I was afraid of that, I have big hands and they dont fit too well back there. are the amp and speedo screw on connections?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try that, do you think the speedo cable is whats making the panel hang up?

Speedometer cable should have a small levered hook on the connector that you have to press in towards the back part of the cable connector so the hook part releases from the lip in the speedometer input. You may want to try grounding the dash first. It only grounds through the screws that hold it in. A bad ground will cause the instrument voltage regulator to not operate correctly and would pass full battery voltage to the gauges.

As 451 Mopar said, you press the lever on the connector for the cable.
I just went out and looked under my dash with a flashlight and was able to get my hand on the connector.
See photo for the gauge nuts. 001.jpg002.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about that, this photo shows the nuts.gauge nuts 001.jpg

Last edited:
I got the cluster out thanks for the tips and pics. putting it back together is going to be another story

while I've got it out any recomendations on a source for the switches?

thanks I'll check them out, I couldnt get the year one site to open, I saw some on ebay but they want an egg for them, 90 bucks for a headlight switch...bull 130 for the dimmer switch ha! I was looking at the bulbs and one looks like it has a mirrored finish on it is there such an animal or does it look like that cause it's blown?

It looks like that because it is blown. Replace all suspicious looking bulbs. I myself would invest in all new bulbs while you have it out....

Local parts store or dealer might have your switches. Doesn't hurt to call...

I checked the local part stores, they dont carry the switches. they work and look good i just figured I'd get all new since I have the cluster out. It's not to bad to remove once I figured out I had to remove the front post trim

Auto Transport Service
Back