• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior Dye removal ??

68383GTS

Reaction score
My hard plastic door panels and kick panels are dyed.Who ever dyed them may have used a cheap dye or did not clean them well before dying.The dye is starting to flake here and there.Is there a way to strip the old dye off so I can dye them with a good dye.I would think a chemical paint stripper like aircraft stripper would be to strong.Any ides????I can try a kick panel first...

Thanks,Jim

spray bottle of paint thinner to soften and loosen the dye and then scrub very lightly with steel brush or a medium bristle brush to remove the softened dye.

I personally havent tried it, but on dodgecharger.com, some guys were striping plastic dash parts with oven cleaner, before refinishing them. They said it worked great.

Jason

I've used lacquer thinner in the past.

take an air blower flex the parts back and forth blow off all the louse pant then take a scotch Brit pad feather the pant and repaint.this has worked for me in the past and panels still look good..

Back