• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Windoze 11 any good?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
I hear that they are trying to mimic Apple's OS? I'm still on 7 with a HP lap top that's on it's death bed so doing some shopping. Best system I've ever used so far is XP Pro. Should have kept it on my desk top at least. Got my LP when 7 was still fairly new....and are Acer LT's any good? Have had monitors of that brand name and they were fine.

I haven't had a problem with 11, my desktop hasn't changed much at all compared to running 10, or 8 before that. I had a couple of older programs no longer supported by the original manufacturer that didn't want to install though, I had to go into advanced settings to bypass driver signatures to get them to work.

1673966932881.png

Just started with 11. Coming off a W10 machine, for the most part it seems OK.............. so far.

I don't like the picture thumbnail size in file explorer as they are too small. I haven't investigated an add on for larger yet.....
1673967584780.png

My old Office 7 files loaded and work on it.

Seriff PhotoPlus3 (oldie) works fine as well.

It's all I have for ya' if it helps.

To run 11, you have to have a chipset with more than 1 core.

I have had great luck with refurbished Dell laptops.

Win7 pro is my favorite. Ill keep running that until it runs no mo. lol

If the actual computer hardware is fine and not dying you could try linuxmint. It'll breathe new life in to an older laptop and will be faster, up to date, secure, and free. You can even try it out (test drive it) without installing it by putting it on a usb stick and rebooting your laptop. If you don't like it, shut the laptop down and remove the usb stick and reboot right back into windows. I would recommend the Linuxmint Mate Edition. It's a little more lightweight and will run faster than the Cinnamon version.

I don't like the picture thumbnail size in file explorer as they are too small. I haven't investigated an add on for larger yet.....
Looks like I can make them larger using "extra large" in the "view" properties or (ctrl-shift-1). The folder reverts back if I don't "apply" the change in "properties" for each folder.
Need to play with it some more.

1673981011742.png
I

View attachment 1403590
Just started with 11. Coming off a W10 machine, for the most part it seems OK.............. so far.

View attachment 1403595

My old Office 7 files loaded and work on it.

Seriff PhotoPlus3 (oldie) works fine as well.

It's all I have for ya' if it helps.
If it is like 10, in the lower right corner, there will be two icons. The lower right icon (Window Pane Picture) will make the thumbnails larger.

zzz.jpg

in the lower right corner, there will be two icons.
Thanks. Yeah, I know. One is "list" the other is "large thumbnail" which is too small on this 11. Maybe the screen resolution is too high for "large", but it's on "recommended".
1673986235197.png

See post 3 & 6.

I’m not a fan.
I still run win 10 on my home pcs and I like it pretty well.
Win 11 you can’t move the task bar.
In file explorer they eliminated a lot of text labels and went to little icons which I can never remember what they are.
Also seems like there’s an adittional mouse click needed for a bunch of stuff cause they’re are so many more options.

I’m not a fan.
I still run win 10 on my home pcs and I like it pretty well.
Win 11 you can’t move the task bar.
In file explorer they eliminated a lot of text labels and went to little icons which I can never remember what they are.
Also seems like there’s an adittional mouse click needed for a bunch of stuff cause they’re are so many more options.
Although not movable by default, if you edit the registry you can move the taskbar to your liking:

I hear that they are trying to mimic Apple's OS? I'm still on 7 with a HP lap top that's on it's death bed so doing some shopping. Best system I've ever used so far is XP Pro. Should have kept it on my desk top at least. Got my LP when 7 was still fairly new....and are Acer LT's any good? Have had monitors of that brand name and they were fine.
I’m not an expert in anyway on computers, sir. I do know I bought an Acer LT 3 years ago. They told me it was a good choice. Early last year the touchpad had raised up. I took it in and they said the battery had swelled. They said they could replace the battery. They opened it up, the battery connection had disconnected from the board, they said they’d seen it before. Bought an HP which I’d had before. My wife has an HP for personal and the business.

Auto Transport Service
Back