• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB ISO: Unrestored 1968-1970 Charger within ≈100 Miles (NC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LipRipper3006

Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
Pardon me for your time but I have been searching for a 68-70 Charger for quite some time now to restore for my dad and grandfather, both of which are huge Dukes of Hazzard fans. I know the fact that taking a Charger and turning it into a "General Lee" replica is offputting to some Mopar guys but my intention is to build that car. The car doesn't have to be an "R/T", have an engine or even be remotely close to perfect; all I need is somewhere to start. I was brought up watching "The Dukes of Hazzard" on DVD at home with my dad or on cable TV while spending the weekend with my grandpa. I have fond memories of playing with my 1:18 diecast of the car that my parents tracked down for me. My dad and I went to the 2012 "Hazzard comes to Galax" festival where we met a few of the cast members and got their signatures; my dad thoroughly enjoyed the event but they have not held another one close by since then.

Going back to the present day, my grandpa is having health problems and has been in and out of the hospital for a variety of problems over the last year. He has always wanted me to restore an old car so he will be able to see the end result (He had put money away when I was born to use for my education). The only cars he has ever shown interest in around me is the 1968 GTX he used to own way back when and that Charger. My dad has been retired for a little over a year and usually takes my 1973 Mustang that he restored for me (with the help of my grandpa) and it's time he had a car of his own. There has been an "General Lee" that he has been spotting on the road and mentions it each time he sees it.

But getting back on track the only cars I can find now are quite far out of reach (Financially or distance), completely destroyed (by wreck or rust), way overpriced, or do not have a title (Some of which all four apply). I have talked to several Mopar guys that live in the area and some I went to tech school with, all of which lead to dead ends. Saying that, I have been through Autobody/Fabrication Courses and a little Racecar Technology. I have the equipment to do a fair bit of reconstruction to a car, but in saying that I would prefer a car that is somewhat structurally sound (however I'll take what I can get).

If you do not own a charger but know someone who does or know the possible whereabouts of one let me know as well. If you know one that is not within the 150-mile radius but is in good condition and for a good price you can pm me, my father and I will have to think it over because we borrow a rollback from the family towing business whenever we pick up a car, therefore we have to find another way to pick it up.

My Criteria (if you want to call it that) is:
•Within about 100 or so miles of the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County area in North Carolina, USA. If you are relatively close being within about 150 miles we can discuss what you have and go from there but preferably nothing over 150 miles.
•It needs to be a 68-70 Dodge Charger, I would prefer a 69 but anything in that range will work.
•Does not have have to have an engine or drivetrain.
•The owner must have a title for the vehicle (Meaning the title states that the car is indeed theirs and are in Legal possession of the vehicle). I have been bitten in the past by title issues where the owner claims possession but in the end, we had to track down the owner before him in order to register the vehicle. I have since then walked away from all but closed deals when I spy issues that arise when it comes time to change the title over (or VIN Tampering). NC makes it very clear that you cannot sell a vehicle without a title and they make it impossible/a huge PITA to get a title; which is something I will not get involved in.
•The vehicle must have some structural integrity/rigidity. I know this particular year of charger is known for having rust issues and I understand that; however, I do not want a vehicle that has been involved in a collision that affected the main structure of the car/is what is referred to as a "total loss" meaning beyond reasonable repair withing the worth of the vehicle or has considerable rot causing the structure of the vehicle to be deemed unsafe or unrepairable within reason. If the vehicle only needs one frame rail/a section or two replaced that that is well within my capability and budget. Anything that is non-structural related is fair game and up for discussion.
•Preferably the car needs to be somewhat complete generally speaking. Anything is up for discussion regarding this bullet point so let me know what you have. My main concern with this is mainly interior pieces like the dash.
• My budget is around $15,000 (Cash or Cashiers Check, whichever you prefer) for one in decent/semi-complete condition. I know some say they're worth more than that but that is all I can offer for one in good shape. If you have one that is in fair/somewhat complete condition give me a price and we can go from there.
•If you have a vehicle that you are wanting to sell, please post it below or PM me, if you have photos please go ahead and attach. I may ask for specific photos of certain areas and possibly video, especially if you live outside a 60-mile radius of the W-S area. I do not talk on the phone because the quality is bad on my end, please PM, and I may give out a phone number for texting or email address so we can communicate that way.

What I consider decent/Semi-Complete
ATT1.jpg Att 2.jpg

I may post another ISO for the 1968 Plymouth GTX like my grandfather used to own, so if you know the whereabouts of an unrestored 1968-70 GTX meeting the same criteria let me know.

My Father standing beside a "General Lee" at the "Hazzard comes to Galax" festival 2012:
IMG_1569.JPG

Last edited:
$15,000 budget ???

Angry Chink.jpg

You are not going to find a solid, complete, running and driving 68-70 Charger in that price range UNLESS it is a buddy-buddy deal or an estate sale where the auction house is clueless to Charger values.
I paid $5000 for THIS car that was wrecked and I could double my money on it if I wanted to sell it right now.
[/ATTACH]
XH 32.jpg

You may find a Coronet or a Belvedere/Satellite for that money but not a Charger.

Cars like these do still exist but they are as rare as a big titted woman getting a traffic ticket.
Barnyard Charger.jpg

Check out the Hazzard Run October 5 in Pigeon Forge, TN. You can expect at least 30+ General Lee cars, maybe you will get lucky. It's outside of your 150 miles but it's the premier show for Dukes fans. Tom Wopat will be there this year.

Lord knows there's a bazillion General Lees running around already, some better done than others
of course. The good news about that is that there's always a bunch of 'em for sale - and let's be
honest here, fetching one that's already done is going to be cheaper in the long run than doing one
from scratch.

Here is a salvage title 70 Not in your area but its a cheap start. AMD makes pretty much all of the sheetmetal to make this happen.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/monroe-1970-dodge-charger/6975997824.html
a 69 here
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/monroe-1969-dodge-charger-project-car/6975969994.html

Here is one right in your neck of the woods.. It looks like it needs a ton of work. On a side note wouldn't it be cool to mount this car on top of a 50 foot pole like the general is jumping....
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/d/biscoe-1969-dodge-charger/6980072229.html
00808_1Ox54rsqmkr_1200x900.jpg

00909_jfQpHZVL9BL_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
There's a video on YouTube if a guy turning a crown Vic into one with AMD metal, that might be a option with your budget, if you don't care about 100 percent original #s of course.

I'd like a 70 r/t , but prices are crazy

Here is a salvage title 70 Not in your area but its a cheap start. AMD makes pretty much all of the sheetmetal to make this happen.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/monroe-1970-dodge-charger/6975997824.html
a 69 here
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/monroe-1969-dodge-charger-project-car/6975969994.html

Here is one right in your neck of the woods.. It looks like it needs a ton of work. On a side note wouldn't it be cool to mount this car on top of a 50 foot pole like the general is jumping....
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/d/biscoe-1969-dodge-charger/6980072229.html
View attachment 838508
View attachment 838509
I have sent him an email on that orange one in rough condition and he has yet to respond. I imagine he doesn’t have a title but anything’s possible.

Lord knows there's a bazillion General Lees running around already, some better done than others
of course. The good news about that is that there's always a bunch of 'em for sale - and let's be
honest here, fetching one that's already done is going to be cheaper in the long run than doing one
from scratch.
The only problem with that is that people hack cars together to make them look nice on the outside and that is why I prefer to do the work myself rather that trust someone else.

My suggestion is you need to expand your area location to farther than 100 miles. And take your time looking. Cost out the price of AMD or original parts cost. Most Chargers in that price range are going to need panel and floor repairs or total replacement. Also if the interior is missing more cost. So there is no sense in buying a shell for 5k when you can find a complete for 15-25k. Unless you are doing a restomod with upgraded engine, custom interior, aftermarket suspension etc.

The only problem with that is that people hack cars together to make them look nice on the outside and that is why I prefer to do the work myself rather that trust someone else.
Always helps to take someone with you who is knowledgeable for sure - but bottom line is, you're gonna pay quite a bit more by the time you get done with yours....and like I said, there's a metric crap-ton of Generals out there already, to the point
that it's gotten quite boring to see yet another.
I hope no more pedigree cars (R/T's, etc.) are lost in the effort, either.
We got plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back