• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It was bound to happen sooner or later

Charged440

Local time
2:10 AM
Reaction score
The now former dictatorship of Madiganistan
The oil pan took a hit recently and since I was going to be down there, I did the Borgeson steering swap too. Thanks to everyone who came before and shared their experience actually doing it. It all went as expected with no big surprises. One thing I found was that the upper left bolt for the steering box bottomed out on the frame because the new casting is thinner than the old one, no big deal at all. The new coupler shoes didn't fit my existing cross pin so I reused the old ones, they looked practically new anyway. The coupler itself needed some filing at the opening for the shoes to slide in but it was minimal. My pitman arm did not go on far enough to compress the boot above it, but it did torque to spec so I'm not sure what that's all about. I made up a clip for the coupler lid and the rest went back more or less like it was. Much better feel to the steering, no extra noises and most importantly, no leaks. I don't have a cooler on there at the moment, but I will as the pump does get a bit hot. I was considering using an old trans cooler only because I actually have it, but I may just buy a generic cooler at this point. The 440 Source 6qt Hemi pan I used was the standard thickness version and fit the bill perfectly, I still had to adjust the pickup depth but that was half expected. I didn't do a play by play but here's some pics. IMG_7760.jpegIMG_7761.jpegIMG_7810.jpegIMG_7781.jpeg

The oil pan took a hit recently and since I was going to be down there, I did the Borgeson steering swap too. Thanks to everyone who came before and shared their experience actually doing it. It all went as expected with no big surprises. One thing I found was that the upper left bolt for the steering box bottomed out on the frame because the new casting is thinner than the old one, no big deal at all. The new coupler shoes didn't fit my existing cross pin so I reused the old ones, they looked practically new anyway. The coupler itself needed some filing at the opening for the shoes to slide in but it was minimal. My pitman arm did not go on far enough to compress the boot above it, but it did torque to spec so I'm not sure what that's all about. I made up a clip for the coupler lid and the rest went back more or less like it was. Much better feel to the steering, no extra noises and most importantly, no leaks. I don't have a cooler on there at the moment, but I will as the pump does get a bit hot. I was considering using an old trans cooler only because I actually have it, but I may just buy a generic cooler at this point. The 440 Source 6qt Hemi pan I used was the standard thickness version and fit the bill perfectly, I still had to adjust the pickup depth but that was half expected. I didn't do a play by play but here's some pics.View attachment 1560022View attachment 1560023View attachment 1560025View attachment 1560026
Get the cooler you'll like it

How do you like the drive? What’s different about the feel compared to the factory box? @Charged440
I love how it drives. A much firmer feel over the factory setup, I didn't do anything terribly spirited but it's closer to a modern car now. I still need to give the alignment a once over but it seems pretty good where it is.

Auto Transport Service
Back