• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just getting started...

John Petti

Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
Howdy there:
I read a couple things here and figured this is good place to find and share some information. I am helping my brother-in-law get his 1967 Coronet back on the road after sitting in his garage for over 30 years. (The car that is) He helped me restore my 1968 Rally Sport back in 78-79 and its finally payback time. I'm the paint and body guy and he is the mechanic fabricator.
IMG_0822[1].JPG

It hadn't been moved until about six weeks ago and has had its share of challenges, but it is rolling along nicely (after a transmission adjustment that cured the slipping in 3rd gear). The dash came apart trying to diagnose the fuel gauge not working and right now I have the instrument surround and glove box door at my house. My mission was to touch up the areas that at some point must have looked like chrome.
While I'm at it, I want to repaint the inside of the glove box door. I am stumped because the manual indicates the inside AND outside of the glove box door are painted with the same "Suede Finish" paint, but the inside of this door is painted with something that feels like fine sand paper and has a flat sheen.
Glove Box Paint.JPG
Technically speaking, the real inside surface of the plastic door is not painted at all. It is mostly covered by a metal panel that has recesses for 4 drink containers, supports the door latch, holds the maintenance record card and screws to the door hinges. That is the paint I am looking for!
It can not possibly be the same paint as the outside door (see picture).
Dash Door In Outer.jpg
The gloss and low-gloss interior paints listed in the service manual (no picture here) are not shown as being used anywhere on the glove box door, only the Suede Finish paint - code VAC38X9 - (Satin Black) is listed. The metal inside glove box door looks like suede to me and the outside looks like a satin gloss. Anyone run into this and have a clue which paint I need to buy?
Thanks!

welcome to FBBO

Welcome from North Florida !!!
Nice looking Coronet 440 :thumbsup:
I am sure someone familiar with your year car can help you out.

Welcome from Michigan with your 67 coronet... my favorite year.

Nice car!!

Welcome from Missouri!! Who doesn't like a Coronet!!

Welcome! And a nice coronet you,have there, please share more photos.

Use the paint you have in the top photo. Where you highlighted: glove box door face and back (coronet deluxe) The next line after that says the back of the glove box door. Which is like your car. Those coronet deluxe models don’t get the plastic front like you have. The whole thing was painted metal.

Welcome! I’ve done a few 67s and am almost done with my 67 500 vert. The paint for the door insides would be the same as the dash face and upper. I’ve found a few products that simulate the look over the years. Pm me if you need opinions

Welcome from Alabama, semi gloss black is as close as you will get for the metal part of the glovebox door. The blacked out portion of the plastic face is satin black. Actually the whole plastic face was chromed with the satin black being done in the last step of its production.

Auto Transport Service
Back