• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LCA mounting

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Although I've worked on GM suspensions a fair amount, rebuilding the front end on my GTX is the first Mopar effort. I'm sort of amazed at how the lower control arm is secured and functions. The LCA shaft presses into the LCA bushing and the shaft is bolted to the K-member - cantilevering the whole assembly behind the K-member behind this single support. The torsion bar slides into the LCA socket from the rear but it's basically unsupported ahead of the transmission cross member and basically that is all that is keeping the LCA on the shaft. However the only thing securing the torsion bar in place is socket friction and the simple wire clip at the cross member. Theoretically, if the clip falls out there isn't much except bushing friction to prevent the whole assembly (LCA and torsion bar) from sliding out from the rear of the K-member. EXCEPT FOR the strut rod securing the LCA from way out towards its outer end, to the forward part of the K-member. Am I missing something here? Considering how the strut rod has to move with the suspension movement, it's a miracle the lower bushing lasts to the end of the first month???

Just a rant - wish it had a full a-arm for the lower control arm.

It's the strut rod that makes sure the LCA stays in place. The torsion bar really has nothing to do with it. Simple but effective....and light weight when compared to GM's front ends. If you want to see something even lighter, look at the early 60's Mudstains. Now those were scary to me.

Yeah, that seems to be about it - just seems kind of shaky that the strut rod tying in way out there towards the spindle is also having to secure the bushing pivot at the frame. But, I believe Fords used a similar strut rod/LCA system so I guess it worked for them.

Auto Transport Service
Back