• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Life in elk country

Sander65

Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
Made plans to head west today and pick up a 1973 400 and 727 out of a adventurer. Everything was going great on the way over. I was making good time and was going to be at the guys house ahead of schedule when it happened. Coming around a corner heading into the mountains on hwy 12 she jumped out of the ditch. Full grown cow elk. Zero time to react. I don't think her hooves hit asphalt till after I hit her. Center punched. Came to a hault at the closest wide spot with the steam rollin out from under the hood. I knew I was dead in the water. Luckily had cell service and given the circumstances the rest of the day went well. Had the thought of salvaging some meat but she was just a sack of guts and bones. DOT scooped her up pretty quick. Guess I'm working on a new dodge and not an old one for a bit. Will go retrieve engine and trans at a later date. Drive safe everyone!

20240224_063747.jpg

20240224_063756.jpg

20240224_072143.jpg

20240224_074342.jpg

Ouch ! Sorry about your misfortune, but most importantly glad you're ok yourself.

The truck soaked it up very well. Looking back I'm lucky I didn't have time to react/over react. Could have ended up in the river. Just mowed her down.

Ouch ! Sorry about your misfortune, but most importantly glad you're ok yourself.

damn critter should stay of the road . glad your ok …..

Glad you’re good - but as respects the meat all you did was tenderize it for your table. Maybe some salvage would have been sweet!

Damn oversized rodents....

Sometimes you just gotta
grit your teeth and put your
trust in a greater power.
Glad you're still here to
relate the story.

She’s not too bright is she?
No and they actually did a follow up with her and she was talking about how embarrassed she felt when everyone was making fun of her. I would never have admitted it was me and if I was called out I would have played it off as me playing a joke.

We eat a lot of elk, there are hundreds of them around our property. Strangely, road kills on them are super rare here. I’ve seen perhaps two in thirty years. Moose and deer are a different matter, they get mowed down by the hundreds and the waste is heartbreaking. Moose strikes actually kill more people then legal guns in Canada, possibly more then illegal guns. And buffalo are just a disaster waiting to happen. They are dark, huge, and unafraid.
Glad it turned out O.K. for you.

Sorry. Ugh. There are so many deer and elk here on the rural west side that they say it's not if, but when you hit one.

Auto Transport Service
Back