• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lift off Hood extensions

terzmo

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
What are people using to raise their hood at a cruise/show and support the hood so the engine can be seen ? I heard shortened tent poles ??

Thanks to all in advance.....Thanks B Body only

175 is too much for Me so I bought 1/2 pvc..cut to 15 inch length and inserted a5/8 dowel inside. Painted the color of the car and they work fine. Cost....under 5 bucks

Just bought his last set. Up to $195 with shipping. Aluminum has done up, as well as hardware, shipping and PayPal takes their piece too.

VERY nice quality though. They're keepers, not throw-aways, so I'd say they're worth it if you're in the market.

mine do the job just fine and people are looking under the hood and not at the supports

I ripped some 2 X 4's down the middle and cut them 22 inches for the front and 20 inches for the rear. I then drilled holes in the bottom end of the wooden supports just a tad larger than the hood pin studs so that they fit snug down over the studs.
I got some 4 inch long wood lag screws and large flat washers to secure the hood to the 2 x 2's. I then stained the wood with dark walnut stain. These wooden lift off hood support extensions do the job even on windy days and they don't look bad either. Total cost was around $15.00

Last edited:
I made some out of 1" dia. clear acrylic. drilled bottom to slip over factory hood pins & drilled & tapped the tops for another set of hood pins for my 69 Coronet R/T that had a six pack set up on it. Looked awesome, alway got alot of comments on them.

Where did you find the clear acrylic? Sounds nice. Thanks in advance.

i have used copper pipe.a bit stiffer then pcv,so no need to worry about a gust of wind messing with things.make sure whole assemble is secured to car,that can be one big sail up there like that.

I made some out of 1" dia. clear acrylic. drilled bottom to slip over factory hood pins & drilled & tapped the tops for another set of hood pins for my 69 Coronet R/T that had a six pack set up on it. Looked awesome, alway got alot of comments on them.
I did the same exact thing, except that I used wooden dowels painted satin black. Since 1989 and still going strong.

1/2 copper pipe. Soft enough to cut very easily, strong enough to hold the hood securely. Painted em black.

Previous owner of my car (tribute/clone) found a bed sheet for a kids bed with the RR cartoon on it. His wife made it into a quilt that I put on top of my car to protect the paint when placing the hood there for car shows.

What are people using to raise their hood at a cruise/show and support the hood so the engine can be seen ? I heard shortened tent poles ??

Thanks to all in advance.....Thanks B Body only
I made mine from wooden dowels. I added pins to one end of each. They are painted satin black.

Auto Transport Service
Back