• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Main Caps & Girdles?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
I've got a couple questions about strengthening a 440 bottom end, stock stroke, to handle a 250+hp shot of nitrous. This is a long-distance cruiser engine (the plan), but I don't want take the nitrous off the car. I've run stock main caps with a 150hp shot of nitrous (current motor), but I put a bigger kit on the car.

1. When should you use steel main caps? When should you use aluminum main caps?
2. If I went to some type of main girdle, would my factory oil pan still clear my cross member & center link bar?
3. Is this all overkill? I already have main studs for the new motor.
4. With a main girdle, do you have to custom lengthen an oil pickup tube or something?

Other thoughts? I really have no idea what to do here.

I have a girdle on my race car but can't help with most of your questions because I have a stroked engine with a 10 quart oil pan and swinging oil pickup, but still use stock main caps.
Might be okay for clearance on the oil pan?
I don't think the pickup tube would be an issue as you would have to check all of that on assembly though.
Just my thoughts. ruffcut

The only comment I'll make is that I have no Idea why someone decided to make main caps
out of any grade of Aluminum? A forged steel cap made of 4140 that is mildly heat treated
and cross-bolted is far superior. Doing a Girdle would be overkill IMHO.

Auto Transport Service
Back