• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maintenance on the 73 Road Runner

LB0442

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
The Road runner has been sitting in the shed for about 3 years now. Had a trans am in the garage that needed a few things sorted out. I got it out, put the trans am in the shed, put gas in it and it fired up pretty quick. Gave it a quick wash job and went to town. When I got back popped the hood and had a nice thin film of oil coming of the A/C compressor ( yep I used it on the way home). Of course it sprayed over the belts and new hood pad, front of motor, Grrr. Ordered a front seal.
100_1934.jpeg

About 15 to 20 years ago I redid most everything under the hood, including the A/C. I don't know why it decided to spray down everything but got it apart.
100_1933.jpeg

100_1935.jpeg

New seal, ran a vacuum for about an hour.
100_1936.jpeg

Plenty of good freon. Blowing 38 degrees now, ambient is 78, 24% humidity, good to go.
100_1937.jpeg

It's not a concours restoration but it looks decent.
100_1938.jpeg

I decided to wax it since it probably hasn't been done in at least a decade (or more). It is all original paint and there are quite a few spots where it is rubbed off, door dings and parking lot scrapes but this way I can drive it and not be too concerned about it.
100_1939.jpeg

Waxed up, parked in the garage, I think I will drive it tomorrow.

That looks amazing for original paint. Enjoy your cruise.

Nice car, and nothing better than cruising a classic car with some cold A/C!

The original paint looks awesome.

Auto Transport Service
Back