• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual to Auto Swap

Bruzilla

Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
Column to Console Swap

I've been driving 1973/74 Roadrunners since 1980, and I just bought a 74 Roadrunner that's the first one with a column shifter. I want to convert it to a console shift, but have never done this swap before, and was wondering if any of you have done this and could give some tips/advice?

Right now there's no carpet in the car so I figure now would be a good time to get this done.

Ok, so its a cololmn shift car and wabt to conver to a console.
Thats fine. Parts are expensive if you want it all stock hardware.
Youll nd
A console
Console top
Console door
Shifter mechanism
Shifter boot to console
Shift linkage
All the misc hardware
And bucket seats.

If you want floor shift. By a race shifter.... Much more affordable, or just leave it alone just my 2 cents

It's a column shift that I want to convert to a console shift. :) I know I'll need a new column, a shifter, and a console, but I'm wondering what all the "gotchas" are going to be, like making the access for the console linkage (I see there's an area for it but I've never had to open it up before), kickdown issues, etc.

I should have most everything you need for the swap, brackets, console, linkage, etc.. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.

Thanks!
Paul

Auto Transport Service
Back