• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metallic Ting Sound form Engine

oxytousc

Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
Got my 73 back. Stroked 408 Small Block. It’s not been tuned, but I’m hearing a metallic ting sound fairly consistently—especially at idle. It seems to be from the motor. I hadn’t noticed it until today. Car sat out in the rain, under two covers, but some water pooled on the flat of the intake.

Any thoughts? I’m wondering if it’s just low on oil.

Got my 73 back. Stroked 408 Small Block. It’s not been tuned, but I’m hearing a metallic ting sound fairly consistently—especially at idle. It seems to be from the motor. I hadn’t noticed it until today. Car sat out in the rain, under two covers, but some water pooled on the flat of the intake.

Any thoughts? I’m wondering if it’s just low on oil.
Engine oil is milky. So, yea.

Water in the oil is like having sand in there. Hope you were using a good synthetic oil. That's the only thing I know of that would have saved it.

Water in the oil is like having sand in there. Hope you were using a good synthetic oil. That's the only thing I know of that would have saved it.
Yea. I’m not sure what they had in there from the shop. I got it to fire up and it was driving fine. It’s parked now, need to try to get it somewhere asap

Auto Transport Service
Back