• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar 8 3/4 suregrip - cone type

JAmes Dodge

Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

How can I know if the surgrip "cone" type, can be used in the 8 3/4 rear end of a '66 Charger? Car is 383, 4 speed from factory, 3,23 open gears.
It depends the kind of case (741, 742, 489)??
PN from the suregrip is #2881343

thanks

You can use the cone type suregrip in any case you just have to have to correct side/carrier bearings. If I am not mistaken you use the side/carrier bearings for a 489 case rear. I have a friend that just put one in a 741 case and as I say he had to change the carrier bearings. Hope that helps
Matt

Nothing wrong with a cone type sure grip if it is in good condition on the street. They can be rebuilt just not as easy as the clutch type units. Here is a thread on FABO that shows one being rebuilt. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=258222
I guess it is personal preference but Ma mopar went to the cone type/auburn unit starting in 69 so alot of mopar muscle got them. If you are looking for drag racing you need a spool anyway.
Best of luck, Matt

Ok nothing so extreme, in fact I'm looking for a good posi rear end to mach the 440 I ordered, close to 500 hps and 4 speed transmisson. I found a NOS cone type, but searching I discovered another kind of sure grips, new for same price ($ 500). Thanks!

yelp Cass is the man! He has helped me out many times.

I have saw the new china made clutch type unit break at the track to. I sold a spare 3.91 742 case clutch type to a guy with a 70 cuda with a 416 ci 340 stroker a few years back at Columbus. He had order his clutch type new and it did not last a few runs on slicks.
Matt
Matt

Auto Transport Service
Back