• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More (not necessarily Mopar) 'back in the day' advertising...

beanhead

May I Land My Kinky Machine
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
So another member shared some super cool Mopar ads from days past, and that got me remembering some of the memorable and sometimes crazy car advertising that we used to see....
Do you guys from other parts of the country remember similar advertising?

I remember Cal Worthington very well...
His places in Anchorage Ak & Sacramento Ca
advert.s late-night TV mostly

& his Dog Spot, who was never/ever a dog

You got me thinking. My dad always told me where he bought his '70 Cuda in the early '70s. I was too young to remember it personally. So I just looked up to see if I could find a commercial of the place when it was still in existence back in the day. And sure enough here it is. Scroll to 1min20sec in this video and you'll see Dick Behnke's Transitowne Dodge in Rochester, NY in around 1980. Today it is called West Herr Chrysler Dodge Jeep. Thanks for push to go look into this. Just a little more that keeps pop's memory alive:).

@davek I'll bet is sure to remember this one

There use d to be a place in Baltimore called R&R motors. They were other corner of Rodgers ave and Reisterstown rd, which explains the name. They had all kinds of goofy ads on WBAL radio. All they sold was used stuff.
Like buy one car and buy the door for another and you get two cars. Or, doesn't matter how it arrives but if it rolls you get x amount for a trade.
This back in the 70s

You got me thinking. My dad always told me where he bought his '70 Cuda in the early '70s. I was too young to remember it personally. So I just looked up to see if I could find a commercial of the place when it was still in existence back in the day. And sure enough here it is. Scroll to 1min20sec in this video and you'll see Dick Behnke's Transitowne Dodge in Rochester, NY in around 1980. Today it is called West Herr Chrysler Dodge Jeep. Thanks for push to go look into this. Just a little more that keeps pop's memory alive:).

Great stuff! Thanks

@davek I'll bet is sure to remember this one

Oh man, Transitowne Dodge. That's a name from long ago, along with Piehler, Boneblust & Buckman, Hallmans. All the dealers that went belly up when Kodak imploded. They hit the airwaves and TV hot and heavy right when the Kodak bonuses were about to be paid. I was in the service in 1980, so do not remember this commercial.

Oh man, Transitowne Dodge. That's a name from long ago, along with Piehler, Boneblust & Buckman, Hallmans. All the dealers that went belly up when Kodak imploded. They hit the airwaves and TV hot and heavy right when the Kodak bonuses were about to be paid. I was in the service in 1980, so do not remember this commercial.
And Bob Hastings, and Philanz? Good ole days for sure! You local?

Oh yeah !! Yes, I am still in the area.
Good deal man. We moved around a lot growing up, but always within an hour of Rochester. Mama and I landed back in Churchville in '07. Finished raising the kids here. PM me if you're ever doing a cruise or show local and wanna touch base.
- Nick

65 Coronet A990 SS Mr. Norm's $3995 sales advert. #1.jpg

Oh you HAVE to see this one!!!
(warning...mild profanity...)

Auto Transport Service
Back