• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Muffler Selection

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
I was looking to replace the dynamax mufflers on the 67 RT. Wasn’t in love with the sound and the drone was unbearable. So I used the search function and several members suggested the Borla Pro XS. So I ordered a pair with the 19 case and 23 overall length. I put them in yesterday and I love them. No drone at all! I can listen to the radio or have a conversation. Very nice bark if you put your foot down on the go pedal and they are stainless steel. As a bonus they were affordable at about 110 dollars each. The forum members here really are the most helpful group out there.
Many thanks

54181484-1BBE-42FA-A6F3-7AA534E3B545.jpeg

8AE5AFBE-0193-498A-8820-6CEFFE13142D.jpeg

CC487FB4-CF9F-4FA4-9667-641221AAE2F6.jpeg

C04A8C93-C99F-4E48-8B6A-B211BE8C2820.jpeg

79523E66-10D4-4A0F-BD49-9658D53471F8.jpeg

282C77BE-3D8B-4491-9B39-B5C0727A1F29.jpeg

693CE4EC-A5DD-4A4A-8699-DCDAB0B95814.jpeg

BEA3E07B-8F1E-4C19-9729-9AE822ED3779.jpeg

Which Dynomax? Thought the super turbo did not have drone and what TTI specs in their exhaust for a slightly louder than stock w good flow.

Those hangars are pulling at an angle, they will fail early, they need to pul straight up and down.

I have been running the Borla's in one form or another since '86 and don't think I would run anything else. They have a great sound, have held up well over the years, and I have never had a drone issue with any of them. I stepped out in the early 2000's and went with Flowmasters based on recommendation from a local engine builder and switched back to Borla. The Flowmasters have a cool sound and are tolerable if you don't drive long distances, but I take my 4.30 geared monster on the freeway for 300+ mile trips so they just weren't working.

Not to be a picky critic but I think the tailpipes should maybe be a little further back?
If the hangars on the back of the muffler were straight vertical I'm thinking the outlet would be even with the bumper.
You may get some fumes even with the turndown but then again perhaps not...
Maybe you wanted them where they are?

Not to be a picky critic but I think the tailpipes should maybe be a little further back?
If the hangars on the back of the muffler were straight vertical I'm thinking the outlet would be even with the bumper.
You may get some fumes even with the turndown but then again perhaps not...
Maybe you wanted them where they are?
Hi Don, I was limited as I was trying not to touch the existing H pipe. The mufflers that came out only had a 14 case, I ordered the 19 case as I had a large void to fill. Because of the way the H pipe was bent the driver side muffler was not in the best location which was causing problems getting clearance around the gas tank and maintaining even a minimal clearance for the shock absorber. More to your point the over the axle section of the tailpipes were centered over the axle housing so that kind of predetermined where the tail pipes terminate. Did the best with what I had to work with :)

Looks like you had Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers before. You're the first I've heard with a drone problem with those or the Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers. I've had both.

Glad you solved it.

Auto Transport Service
Back