• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 400/512 project is complete dyno and exhaust video It's

Heimedw

Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
I though I would post this in the engine thread for a quick reference for people thinking on doing a big cube stroker. The motor is a 400/512ci. The parts list is as follows. Stroker kit from the 440 source 40 over -24 dish piston with 0 deck compression rating of 10.39 with 78cc head. The heads are trick flow 240's, summit double roller bullit timing chain, comp custom grind 252-258 571 lift that works out to 609 lift with a 1.6 rocker, Harland sharp 1.6 rocker shafts, 7 quart oil pan, windage tray, high volume oil pump from melling, msd distributor, edelbrock performer rpm duel plane intake, Holley 850 xp carb, tti 2" into 2 1/8" headers, ati harmonic balancer. My block did need some work on three cylinders. They had to be offset bored because of core shift but it didn't seem to effect power in the end and possibly help improve numbers. My motor is running on 91 pump gas and I'm just over sea level maybe 200 feet. The numbers are 619hp at 5500rpm and 636tq at 4300rpm.

View attachment 761294

IMG_0419.JPG

Last edited:
Are they unavailable for everyone? They are working for me.

It says your videos are not playable on other websites You have to enable that on youtube. Or disable rather.

From the “everyone is an expert” file......

It doesn’t look like it’s peaked yet at 5500.
Were there other pulls that went higher?

That basic combo of parts shouldn’t have any problems til at least 1000rpm higher than that.

Looking at the combo again...... the RPM is probably the cork....... but I would have taken it to at least 6k.

Last edited:
My build is close to that. Its a 493 which is a .030 over 440 with 440Source 4.15 crank and D-dished pistons for 10.6 comp. Solid flat tappet with 264 & 270 @ .050 and .585 & .592 lift and a 110 LSA on a 106 ICL. Indy EZ heads with the Indy dual plane and an 850 DP. TTI 2" headers and a full 3" exh. Never dyno'd it but its run 10.70's @ 125 in my 3700 plus pound 63. Best of luck with yours as it sounds like a nice build. Ron

413957239.jpg

Should be a nice engine. Those numbers are exactly what I'd expect from a pump gas 512 with the Trick Flow heads. You'll want to keep an eye on those 440Source rocker arms. Those are probably the weak link in your build so pull the covers and check lash a couple of times a year or whenever you hear a loud ticking noise. Good luck, she'll be a tire roaster.

From the “everyone is an expert” file......

It doesn’t look like it’s peaked yet at 5500.
Were there other pulls that went higher?

That basic combo of parts shouldn’t have any problems til at least 1000rpm higher than that.

Looking at the combo again...... the RPM is probably the cork....... but I would have taken it to at least 6k.

The shop had done the break in the day before and new the numbers. They said it was starting to nose over after 5500rpm. I would have like to see a pull to 5800rpm. I will say anything over 600hp on a stock block is getting pretty high! I was thinking it was going to make around 580hp.

Should be a nice engine. Those numbers are exactly what I'd expect from a pump gas 512 with the Trick Flow heads. You'll want to keep an eye on those 440Source rocker arms. Those are probably the weak link in your build so pull the covers and check lash a couple of times a year or whenever you hear a loud ticking noise. Good luck, she'll be a tire roaster.

No I didn't go with 440 source rockers Andy. I read to many horror stories with them. I went Harland sharp.

Auto Transport Service
Back