• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Carburetor journey.

Webers are cool. Once though I talked to a guy that showed me a Weber that was an exact copy of a Eddy/Carter AFB style carb.... is that legit?
Cross ram intakes are huge, if I had more time I would like to try a long ram intake.....or this one thats for sale now close to me, Eddy intake with x6 Holleys, fits RB etc:

View attachment 1523450

Yes it's legit. Weber was producing the carburetors with the Edelbrock name already attached.
Picture of an Edelbrock Carburetor
Weber AFB carb 9636SA.JPG

Carter Competition series.JPG

Carter Competition Series

Last edited:

I’m really interested in your thoughts on a carb for my General Lee. I have a stock build (cam, compression, etc.) on a 1970 383-4bbl. It is bored 0.60 over and has an Edelbrock I take that says DP4B. The cam is supposed to be stock (and seems that way, or just slightly more than stock). Running factory exhaust manifolds (but may in the hopefully not too distant future) add headers, I’m also running the 727 automatic. I won’t be racing it but I want to get better mileage and snappy low end with great transition/no hesitation between idle and WOT.

I called Edelbrock and they recommended an AVS 2 650, and called Holley and they recommend their 680 VS. What would you think is the best for my application? Would you recommend what they offered or something else (I can’t do the TQ)? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

I’m really interested in your thoughts on a carb for my General Lee. I have a stock build (cam, compression, etc.) on a 1970 383-4bbl. It is bored 0.60 over and has an Edelbrock I take that says DP4B. The cam is supposed to be stock (and seems that way, or just slightly more than stock). Running factory exhaust manifolds (but may in the hopefully not too distant future) add headers, I’m also running the 727 automatic. I won’t be racing it but I want to get better mileage and snappy low end with great transition/no hesitation between idle and WOT.

I called Edelbrock and they recommended an AVS 2 650, and called Holley and they recommend their 680 VS. What would you think is the best for my application? Would you recommend what they offered or something else (I can’t do the TQ)? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
A 800 Thermoquad (Super quad) would be awesome as your intake can take a spreadbore carb.
Though, lots of time to invest there in finding parts/ a TQ in good condition etc etc

The Holley 680 VS would work good and give you even power.

The AVS2 650 would work really good, give you a snappy bottom and smooth transition.

The Street Demon 625 is a little trickier to tune than the AVS2 and could also have bad QC on the one you get.
....but it would give you the same or better bottom end than the AVS2 and more fun when opening up the secondaries.
It would also give you better mileage with its smaller than AVS2 primaries and triple stack boosters instead of the Annulars.

Also try to get a spacer in there between the intake and carb to protect from heat.

The 625 CFM Carter AVS carb was original on 383 4bbl cars, so no jet changes required. If you can find a good used original carb it will work really good right out of the box.

A 800 Thermoquad (Super quad) would be awesome as your intake can take a spreadbore carb.
Though, lots of time to invest there in finding parts/ a TQ in good condition etc etc

The AVS2 650 would work really good, give you a snappy bottom and smooth transition.

The Street Demon 625 is a little trickier to tune than the AVS2 and could also have bad QC on the one you get.
....but it would give you the same or better bottom end than the AVS2 and more fun when opening up the secondaries.
It would also give you better mileage with its smaller than AVS2 primaries and triple stack boosters instead of the Annulars.

Also try to get a spacer in there between the intake and carb to protect from heat.
Thanks for the reply! I went with the AVS2! I have another question about the linkage: mine is a mess! I want it to be fixed back correctly. Here is my current setup on a Holley 4160 that I’m replacing:

IMG_0522.jpeg

IMG_0523.jpeg

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

I ordered the AVS2, the Mopar Linkage kit (part # 1481) as well. I was looking at the specs and things after I purchased it and it said these two items are required:

1. Throttle lever studs (part #8007)
2. Rod extender (part #’s 8003 and 8004)

Also, it seems the rod extender has the 2 part numbers I listed above as one is 5/16” and the other is 1/4” and I don’t know which one I need to order.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

IMG_0526.jpeg

The 625 CFM Carter AVS carb was original on 383 4bbl cars, so no jet changes required. If you can find a good used original carb it will work really good right out of the box.
Thanks for the reply/help! I ended up going with an AVS2

You might not need any need parts to mount the AVS2. You can unbolt the bracket from the Holley and bolt it on the Edelbrock. You may have to drill a hole here and there to get it all to work.
Here's what I did to mine:
20231130_102137.jpg
20231215_171826.jpg
20231216_133423.jpg

How do like the AVS2?
The AVS2 has not been the "night and day" difference compared to my Holley 1850 that some folk proclaim that it should be.

The low speed response was soggy although it did feel slightly stronger at the top end compared to the Holley 1850 (600 vac sec). It certainly wasn't stronger anywhere than the 700 Double Pumper I also own.

A few weeks back I pulled the top of the carb off again and had a look if I could see any obvious issues. I ended up removing both the annular boosters and giving them a good soak/spray with some throttle body cleaner I had. I also removed and cleaned the accelerator pump nozzle even though I had visually confirmed that was spraying healthily and evenly.

I was concerned that the tiny holes in the annular boosters might not have been drilled properly or had some flashing still in them, causing the poor low speed response. This was a brand new carb by the way.

Well - it did make a difference! The throttle response from idle is now much cleaner, like the Holley on it's best day, but all the time. Not sure if it's any faster, but it does feel sharper.

I'm hoping to get to the track next month - that will be the ultimate test in my eyes of whether it was worth swapping over.
20240305_144513.jpg

The AVS2 has not been the "night and day" difference compared to my Holley 1850 that some folk proclaim that it should be.

The low speed response was soggy although it did feel slightly stronger at the top end compared to the Holley 1850 (600 vac sec). It certainly wasn't stronger anywhere than the 700 Double Pumper I also own.

A few weeks back I pulled the top of the carb off again and had a look if I could see any obvious issues. I ended up removing both the annular boosters and giving them a good soak/spray with some throttle body cleaner I had. I also removed and cleaned the accelerator pump nozzle even though I had visually confirmed that was spraying healthily and evenly.

I was concerned that the tiny holes in the annular boosters might not have been drilled properly or had some flashing still in them, causing the poor low speed response. This was a brand new carb by the way.

Well - it did make a difference! The throttle response from idle is now much cleaner, like the Holley on it's best day, but all the time. Not sure if it's any faster, but it does feel sharper.

I'm hoping to get to the track next month - that will be the ultimate test in my eyes of whether it was worth swapping over.View attachment 1644024
That’s awesome!!

I'm hoping to get to the track next month - that will be the ultimate test in my eyes of whether it was worth swapping over.View attachment 1644024
So QC fails again on a AVS2 this time.
It seems that whatever you buy today needs a good check before starting it up.

A while ago I got a brand new in box alu 750 Holley that had a lot of shavings in the channels...

Thanks for the reply! I went with the AVS2! I have another question about the linkage: mine is a mess! I want it to be fixed back correctly. Here is my current setup on a Holley 4160 that I’m replacing:
Sorry, not much help from me here as I made a custom bracket and wire to the 727.
Though as earlier stated, some edelbrock mopar bracket and pin should fix it. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back