• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My dad's car

detmatt1

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
Yes I know it's an E-body!, but I'm a member and it is a current project, so here is a quickie on my dad's `71 Challenger convertible interior improvements.:grin:
He has been wanting new seat covers and the carpeting was past due, so I ordered Legendary skins and ACC carpet and went to town!. Took the old out and found that there was a little repair work needed on the rear footwell pans. I will need to replace these at some point, but for now I just cleaned them up with a wire wheel on my grinder and then a thich coat of por 15 to keep them from getting any worse. There were some small holes as well, so for now I just put a coat of bondo/glass down to seal it up. Small tear in the metal just behind the reinforcement plate that the rear of the drivers seat track bolts to, so I welded that back together as well. New carpet went in and that is a bigger PITA than I thought it would be, not much room for slop when cutting the carpet for the Slap Stick under the console, it barely covers. I also restored the seat tracks, cleaned and sandblasted, then cleaned and paited with por15 in semi gloss black, they turned out really nice. Greased them up and they are good as new. Had an upholsterer install the seat covers and new buns for the buckets, what a difference!, those old seat foams were shot even though they didn't look all that bad. I still have to put the rear seat belts and seat back in, today, when I go over to tell my mom that I love her!. Will also be restoring his wheels and putting a new rear main seal in the original 383 and restoring his gauge bezels this year, otherwise this car is pretty solid.:grin: First couple of pics are at Woodward Dream Cruise a couple of years ago, yes that is me.:grin:

IMG_1475_11.JPG

IMG_1498_2.JPG

IMG_3805_2.JPG

IMG_3806_3.JPG

IMG_4487_1.JPG

IMG_4488_2.JPG

IMG_4519_1.JPG

IMG_4520_2.JPG

IMG_4522_3.JPG

IMG_4525_4.JPG

My next 'project' is going to be an E Body!

So is mine, and here it is!, #'s matching `70 A66 340 performance package, FK5 in and out w/black top and rump stripe. I have a better, more recent pic on my other computer and it actually rolls now and I put the doors back on it. It's kind of a basket case, but very rare and worthy of a top notch resto.:grin:

IMG_3448_1.JPG

Your dads challenger is sweet!? That one you have has some serious potential! And from the looks of the J Dog, found the right man for the job!!! I to want an E body when I gain more experience and have deeper pockets!

i've always liked e-bodies ever since i saw the movie Moonshine County Express.how many of you out there remember that one?

What a BEAUTY that is !! :yes:

Be proud of that one, and hang on it !!

Thanks Pastortom, I think we will be holding on to it, it is a #'s matching 383 car with A.C., still has the fender tag attached too!. Don't see to many Butterscotch cars either.:grin: I like this car more and more as the years go buy and it is a good source of father/son quality time!.

Again, I gots to get me an E Body! Is it blasphemous to have a new Camaro on my screen saver?

What???? A new What!! Whoa! :faint:

Inspiring story Matt! Hopefully your car brings plenty of good father/son time in the future. Looks like a great project

I got the back seat in yesterday, so hear is how the whole thing turned out.
BTW, if any of you Detroiters are looking for someone to do your upholstery work, I've got the guy, John's Upholstery, 22 mile and Van Dyke, 586-489-1820. He was $250 cheaper than 2 other places I was refered to and says he will stand behind his work, any problems or adjustments that need to be made, he'll take care of it. He charged me less than half of what the other estimates were!!:grin:
Last pic is a better one of the next project, looks better but it's still pretty bad.

IMG_4526_1.JPG

IMG_4527_2.JPG

IMG_3837_1.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back