• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Second Car ('63 Grand Prix)

Dibbons

Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
My first car was a '65 Valiant four-door I picked up used for $125.00 in Salinas, CA circa 1973. Around the same time, I purchased a '63 Pontiac Grand Prix for $100.00 in Marina, CA. The Pontiac did not have the eight-lug rims or the factory tach, but did have the slim jim automatic with the 389 and posi-traction differential. After a high-rise aluminum manifold and a rebuild (don't remember if I kept the 389 or swapped in a 421) I met a friend for a grudge race at Fremont Raceway. My Pontiac pulled a good whole shot on his '69 396 Chevelle, but he passed me shortly before the finish line (photo is my blue car).

Pontiac Grand Prix copy.jpg

Man, the cars we had as kids. We had no clue how lucky we were back then.

That’s beautiful! John Delorean is well known for the GTO, and his own marque. But the 1962 Grand Prix was the first car he had a big involvement in. Basically a Ventura with buckets and console, the 389 4 bbl engine with dual exhaust. And… dechromed. It looked sporty.

Auto Transport Service
Back