• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a new home printer.....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Guys, my vintage Epson home printer finally crapped out and time for a new one. What to buy, Canon, HP, Epson....ink jet , Deskjet, laser.....dang, too many options and I don't have a clue what to buy or what to stay away from.....any suggestions as to what is/worked well for you. Who has the easiest , cheapest replacement ink use to be the biggest factor in making a purchase and not sure about that these days.....thanks..

I finally stepped up to a color Lazer. No more dried out cartridges. I don't do many photo quality prints any more. Walgreens is just up the street if I need something fancy.

I have always used HP
My wife is the shutter bug and she prints photos no issue with the HP

I haven't used an inkjet for over 25 years, laser is the way to go. For the amount I'd use it, color is a waste of money, if I want photos I print them at Walmart for pennies!

I have a cheap HP MFP M28 that's primarily used for business - printing invoices, etc.. It has a scanner which is handy for copies as well as whatever other reason you'd have to scan a document. And its wireless. Cartridges are readily available from 3rd parties so they're inexpensive. And its small. Totally satisfied for the price.

Ive always been an HP guy since long ago when I discovered Epson to be junk. A lot depends on how much you print. Since retiring not nearly what I used to. We bought an HP wireless, fax, scan, copy, print - All in One desk jet for I think around $150. I have also for many years taken advantage of the HP Instaprint program for ink. For a new printer sign-up details will come in the box. I have the “no cost monthly program that gives me 15 pages free a month - if I go over that it’s $1 for every additional 10 or 15 pages. Ink is free. HP can tell when you’re running low on the tri color or black cartridge and simply mail you new ones n/c. Yes I‘ve run so little that the cartridges have dried out - I simply call HP and they send out new ones to get me back on the road. There are more pages/programs that cost a few $$ a month but why - I don’t need them. I’ll just run over one month and pay the extra $1 or 2 dollars for the extra 20 or thirty pages whatever and wala. I look at it as essentially a free ink program - because for me it is. I havent paid for ink in I don’t remember when. I only have to buy paper. For got to mention - with this program you also no longer need a home line to fax - they have a bunch of other free extras - one being mobile fax where I print something, save it to my phone or iPad and fax it right from my IPhone. Sweet - works like a charm.

I have also for many years taken advantage of the HP Instaprint program for ink.

If you look at that offer under a black light it says SUCKER in big bold letters !! If all you print is 15 pages a month, you spent way too much for a printer !

Laser is the way to go. I have had good luck with Brothers. Have a color laser here at home and the wife has been putting it through its paces for 6 years. Have several at work and they have been solid till you hit about the 50,000 page range but you will never see that in a home environment.

If you look at that offer under a black light it says SUCKER in big bold letters !! If all you print is 15 pages a month, you spent way too much for a printer !
Everyone is allowed an opinion - I guess that’s yours. All I know is I’ve been plenty happy with my set-up for years. And it costs me nothing. Who’s the “SUCKER”?

I guess we know why you wear a big brown bag over your head an face.…..

I have a 20 year old 'Office Jet HP',
4 in 1, printer fax scanner copier
a freaken' dinosaur now, by today's stds
been great for since Aug. 2001, never any problems
(hope I didn't just jinx myself)

I think I've got my $$$'s worth out of it

the freaken' color cartridges cost as much as some the POS
'cheap *** printers' only now...

I use maybe 1 color cartridge every 2+ years now,
1 B&W every year, just go to Staples

one of the cool things about computers & the internet
you don't need to do much printing anymore

been sort of looking & thinking about getting something else myself

I don't like change that much, not anymore
most of the office electronics today are junk, seen it way too often

I have had an Epson Artisan photo printer for about 12 years now, but I run a Brother for my day-to-day printing. Brother colour Laser - my second one now - total of around 6 years with the Brothers. The last one developed a crazy smudge on one colour after I changed the Toner cartridge....so I ditched it and bought another.

Since I go through a ream of paper every 2-3 months, I need something reliable, and I doubt I will change from Brother now. Network connected, and capable of printing from any phones in the house makes for a happy family.

Any printer with a toner fluid bottle rather than cartridges. We have an Epson, does 2000 copies per bottle and doesn't dry out.

We also use a printer from Brother at home and are very happy with it. We went with the black & white model DCP-L2550DW that takes the TN730 standard yield toner cartridge. There's also a high yield cartridge available that you can buy for it.

It scans either color or black and white images which you can then save or print, but it only prints in black/white. We just don't have the need here at home for printing color.... Another nice feature is that it's WIFI friendly, so Mrs. Sixpak can print her grocery coupons to it from her computer located in another room or from her phone anywhere in our home WIFI range.

It also easily prints on both sides of a piece of paper if you want it to do so, and after 5 years of ownership we've had zero problems with it. We'd buy another Brother tomorrow if we needed to.

HP Office Jet 8020 is what I currently have. I am a firm supporter of HP products and this unit fulfills my needs. I don't do very many pictures but for scanning, copying, printing, etc., it performs outstandingly. It can be both USB hardwired of WiFi and will work both ways. I've had other makes and manufacturers printers, but HP beats them all hands down...IMHO...cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Auto Transport Service
Back