• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need photos of alternator installation on 383 engine, '69 Charger

69 Charger

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Hello, Charger Folks!

My Charger is currently finishing a 14-month restoration of the body. I made a lot of photos before pulling the engine for rebuild, but apparently not enough of them. I'm having trouble getting the alternator installed and am hoping someone can provide some photos to illustrate how it should be mounted. As it is now, it just doesn't seem to fit cleanly and is being interfered with by the sparkplug wire guide just behind it.

Many thanks!

There are different setups for cars depending on if it is equipped with Air Conditioning or not.

This may not be correct for a '68 but it fit my 70 when I converted to A/C....I didn't have the idler pulley on yet.

A C Charger 1.JPG

A C Charger 2.JPG

A C Charger 3.JPG

Here it is with the idler but no P/S:

Mock up 1.jpg

Here are a few pix I pulled off the internet when I was trying to figure out mine.

440 Air 2.jpg

440 Air 4.JPG

This is a weird one I've never seen anywhere. 3 belt arrangement. I wanted to do this but figured the water pump pulley needed more than just 90 degrees of belt contact.

440 w  Air C.jpg

This is a 400 stroker that I just did a pulley and bracket conversion for an aftermarket A/C setup designed to use stock brackets and pulleys.

DB 181.JPG

I sized and arranged the alternator spacers for optimal belt alignment. Factory correct wasn't the goal.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the photos. I finally figured out the problem with fitting the alternator was with the spark plug wire guide behind the alternator. I had it mounted upside down. However, one thing I noticed in almost all the photos posted: I do not have the triangular bracket attached to the block. It is shown for the 383 engine in the Chrysler parts manual, but to my knowledge my car has never had it. I'm the original owner and the car was ordered without A/C but I added a Chrysler Airtemp under-dash unit a few months later (no longer installed).

Alternator triangular bracket.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back