• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New B body owner

Welcome from Illinois!! Your 1st year Belvedere GTX is a beauty! IMHO it's one of the best looking muscle cars ever produced.

As promised, Joe, here are a couple of shots of my R/T.

P7030085.JPG

P7030088.JPG

Nice find on that GTX, the color really stands out. In my experience, the 3:23 gear is not holding that car back much. I had a 67 GTX for almost 25 years, 440 auto with a 3:23. It ran a best of 14:08, bone stock, and could’ve easily dipped into the 13’s. I decided to change the gearing to a 3:91, didn’t help a bit but did slow me down on the longer trips. I changed the converter and that really woke it up. Yes, you have a muscle car, the “gentlemens” muscle car, and a nice one at that! Welcome to the wonderful world of FBBO, glad to have you with us.

Pic of my old X, just for fun.

3F8D4D63-CC0C-4F15-8062-C14D4D6A3B49.jpeg

Welcome. If you have to ask if a 67 GTX is a muscle car I would check the engine to make sure someone didn’t slip a 361/383 in to it.

My first cruise in the car today, coming from 428CJ and Boss 302, i found the exhaust note to be a little milder than what I was used to * considering factory exhaust manifolds and stock style exhaust* also the 3.23s where definitely pedestrian the idea of higher gears does appeal to me, to give it a bit more life, the car was responsive the the throttle, not overly, it was a nice cruising car..very comfortable bucket seats, power drums worked better than i expected, steering was a bit loose from what i am used to...the steering wheel was a bit bigger than what I am used to...the car is very well done very beautiful lines with that black vinyl top and black stripes along the hood and trunk really pulls everything together with maroon body colour the redline tires just adds to everything. The underside is as nice as the topside...
I am very excited to be the new caretaker, and learning more about the car and its cousins...
Excuse the more than likely frequent stupid questions

My past cars...68.5CJ mustang, 69 Mach 1 428CJ, 70Boss 302, 71 Boss 351, 69 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ
Current car... 66 Fairlane
It looks like a very nice car. 440s are torque monsters and even with 3.23 gears should boil the tires from kicking the throttle from a dead stop and idle. But they can be off due to lazy timing, And if it’s a CAP car the distributor is anything but optimal. So a distributor tune up and re-configuring the advance curve can perk up the response noticeably. My 67 has factory AC which is like hauling a 150 lb passenger all the time. A 3.55 rear end and slightly looser looser converter did take care of the tendency for the tires to hook up a little early in first and drag the revs down to where it had to climb back up on the torque peak. I can’t see needing anything steeper than a 3.55 in an otherwise stock motor car but 3.73s and 3.91s are out there.
One thing about Mopars of this era compared to GM and Ford auto muscle cars, is the lack of part-throttle kick down. Unless a rebuild of the transmission included modifying the valve body, it will only downshift to 2nd or 1st with full throttle. This tends to make them feel a bit less responsive or even a little sluggish in everyday, part-throttle spirited driving compared to a GM or Ford auto. But don’t let that fool you, more throttle will wake it up.

But they can be off due to lazy timing, And if it’s a CAP car the distributor is anything but optimal. So a distributor tune up and re-configuring the advance curve can perk up the response noticeably.
100% agree on the above!!! Fixing a lazy distributor and poor timing settings is one of the best performance upgrades you can do to your car.

Welcome from PA!

Hi my first mopar (have always had Fords)..I currently own a 67 GTX 440...it has stock manifolds, and a pedestrian 3.25 rear....would you consider this a muscle car?
Obviously, you don't think so? I have had Chevys, then Mopars, then fox bodies, now I have Mopars and Fox bodies. All brands have their pluses. All brands matter.

I noticed this engine has the hose from valve cover breather to the air cleaner, so it could be a CAP (emissions equipped) car, or simply has a '68 air cleaner on it. If it does have an original CAP distributor in it , the engine would benefit from a Mopar Performance electronic ignition conversion upgrade. I have also upgraded my transmission with a newer part-throttle kickdown valve body with a shift kit. The stock low stall torque converter was replaced with a higher stall 383 RoadRunner converter.

Nice looking car and welcome from Iowa.
If you really feel the preformance is down compared to your past cars mabey a little research is in order. Over a 50 year span very few of these cars survive untouched. Make sure you have block and heads that line up date wise with you car. Like posted above, a simple distributor recurve can bring them to life if the engine itself is solid.
Enjoy that X .

Nice car for your 1st MoPar, 67 GTX

welcome to FBBO

Auto Transport Service
Back