• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW from Dakota Digital: RTX series and the main differences vs HDX and the well known VHX

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
I am posting a new, dedicated thread on the NEW RTX series gauge system from Dakota Digital, because over the last week, as I mentally wrestled with the decision to either keep the VHX series that I bought in 2016 but never installed OR put the VHX up for sale (for $700) and spend $700 MORE for the RTX-68D-CHG-X system, I found out how new the RTX is, and how little information is available for those who may be weighing their gauge and dash layout options. I am excluding the VFD series because those are "Vacuum Fluorescent Display" gauges, and use "blocky" letters and numbers, and don't resemble the factory gauges at all. When off, the VFD gauges are black and devoid of any kind of visually discernible characteristics.
**First thing is the PRICE difference, which is considerable. To make the best comparison, I will refer to list and minimum advertised price for each.
The VHX system is the one that I have seen and admired for years, rightfully so, because it has a modern "tech" appearance but that is tempered by using analog style needle gauges.
Screenshot_20200722-011634_Chrome.jpg

I liked it so much I bought one in 2016 and that was a major purchase but it was a special treat for my car and myself. I have seen the VHX sell from $895 to $995 for the 1968-70 Dodge Charger, 1969-70 Coronet R/T, 1968-70 Plymouth Super Bee, and 1970 GTX and Road Runner.
The "more technologically advanced" version of the VHX series is the HDX series gauge system. $1,420 to $1,495
Screenshot_20200725-005001_Chrome.jpg

Visually it is almost the same as the VHX, with the important difference being 2 larger "square" full color TFT displays, 1 at 6 o'clock in the speedometer gauge and 1 at the 6 o'clock position of the tachometer gauge. The features of the HDX and RTX are basically the same.
The RTX series gauge system is the one that I just read about a week ago, and from a technical features and functional perspective is basically the same as the HDX series, except the RTX only has 1 large square TFT color display in the speedometer gauge. The RTX series is also $1,420 to $1,495.
Screenshot_20200718-212128_Chrome.jpg

**So there's the prices and the pictures of the 3 series. Since the function of the HDX and RTX series are the same, the following are the reasons why I just chose the RTX over the VHX (I've been having and was about to have installed), and I would have been happy and excited about the VHX, but for me, the RTX had enough additional features to make it worth the additional cost.
** The most appealing features the RTX brings that are not in the VHX for me are: The Smart Phone APP provides easy setup and adjustments, but it also functions as a “remote dash” with real time readouts, and when I’m under the hood adjusting the 6bbl carbs, I can monitor the RPMs and more importantly, display the A/F ratio or Lambda of my Innovate Motorsports DLG-1 dual wideband O2 sensor system. I had to buy 2 of the Dakota BIM-13-2 wideband modules ($95 each), as they only have a 2 wire input, and I have 2 pair of wires, 1 pair per side of the exhaust’s O2 sensors. The data will display on the TFT display of the speedometer gauge, and on the phone app, per the “higher ups” in DD tech support. I also like the on dash warning lights AND buzzer, so if I’m taking in the scenery and there’s something important I should know, I will get a visual AND audible alert.
That sums up the most important differences from a functional perspective, the remote dash and impossible to miss warning capabilities, and I’m sure I’ll appreciate the ease of setup and adjustments the app brings, especially when I take advantage of the 30+ color combinations available with the RTX. The painted on factory redline is below my current shift point, and way below where my BME 541 stroker will shift, but the lights that sweep the arc around the RPM hash marks are programmable, so that will help me keep tabs on how fast my mill is spinning, and the “tach warn” output (also in the VHX) will trigger my LED stand alone shift light. Thanks to the BIM-13-2 modules, the shift light will be the ONLY thing that is not integrated into the gauges in the dashboard, so as nice as the Innovate DLG-1 dual readout gauge is, I’ll have a much cleaner presentation on my dash.
So “thanks” (sort of) again Mopar Connection and Dakota Digital. You raised the standard of what was the best looking gauge setup in the VHX to a new level with the RTX, but the “sort of” is, after careful consideration, I have justified the extra $700 for the features that are truly a practical added value for making the most out of my investment when I’m tuning, and if some problem should occur that needs immediate attention, I will certainly be made aware of it…
Oh-did I mention the “Tic-Toc Tach”?
20200718_192938.jpg

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm?ptype=results&category_id=697&mode=cat

Last edited:
Here's a really good video, showing mostly setup and adjustments being done with the DD app. The guage version is the HDX, but it's very similar to the RTX I'm getting. At 5:15 the "real time gauges" option is featured, and THAT is one of the important factors that lent to me deciding to get the RTX.

That is cool!

My gauge cluster will be done now, thank you for this awesome write up.
Do you know where I can purchase the clear lens?

Will the Tic Toc Tac come with a needle pointer or is it a light?
Glad you asked.
The tachometer reading is indicated by lights that sweep the arc around the RPM hash marks. Since the factory 5,500 RPM redline is painted on the gauge, I'm glad RPMs are displayed in lights, because I can change the color of the lights to accommodate my redline. I would imagine I can use a number of colors, but I guess green or white for safe RPMs, yellow as redline approaches, and red for redline and up. I covered that in the first post.
The painted on factory redline is below my current shift point, and way below where my BME 541 stroker will shift, but the lights that sweep the arc around the RPM hash marks are programmable,

Well Dakota Digital FINALLY shipped my Retro series gauge system and it arrived at the shop on Tuesday
:thumbsup: :bananadance::bananaweed::drinks:
KIMG0270(1).jpg
KIMG0274.jpg
20200924_150019.jpg

Since I have to bring the McLeod RXT 6923-05 dual disk clutch and pressure plate setup over to the shop that has my Roadrunner tomorrow, I hope to program the new Retro series Dakota Digital RTX series gauge system.
Good mechanic, horrible videographer:

The RXT 6923-05 dual disk clutch is in, and the pedal pressure is WAY WAY lighter than the 2,950 pound single disk clutch it is replacing, and that is FANTASTIC news! I did a basic setup on my Dakota Digital gauges, and I also setup the DD electric fan control module. Thursday is supposed to be pick her up day, and I have a local shop near the shop where my car is that can handle aftermarket suspension components.

I just LOVE that your gauges look like the stock 1970 gauges. Good for you!

Thanks Kern Dog
They look like brand new factory gauges when powered off.
I just did a basic setup because without a seat in the car, it was a little uncomfortable to spend too much time in there.
I like the day and night programming options, because I can have a really bright and colorful daytime theme, but at night go to red lighting which was what I chose for the VHX series I had, since red light doesn't affect night vision. IIRC, there are separate colors available for: backlighting, needle color, and gauge indicator color. Also I like the warning chime (10 options for the "sound" it makes) to draw my attention to any parameters that may go above and/or below any settings, like 15 psi oil pressure, 210 degrees water temp, high and low voltage limits, etc.
Ultimately, I spent an extra $220 or so on 2 wideband modules so my Innovate Motorsports DLG-1 dual wideband O2 sensor system can display the A/F ratio on my smartphone, while I am tuning the 6bbl carbs. I get the feeling that tech support and I will BOTH have a learning experience since this series is so new.
Oh, and it sure is pretty!:thumbsup: :bananadance::bananaweed::moparsmiley:

I’m getting one for my RR but can’t decide between the RTX and HDX large tach or tic toc tach

Last edited:
Either during or after Cruisin the Coast I will post pix and video of the RTX system in action. I may be able to take a screenshot of the "remote dashboard" feature, that puts various parameters of the gauges as a mirror on your smartphone. A BIG reason for going from the VHX series to this RTX series is the mirror gauges feature on my phone. One of the Dakota Digital software engineers said that I can mirror the 2 BIM-13-2 wideband O2 sensor modules on the remote dashboard, and I plan to use that while I'm tuning the 6bbl under the hood.

I’m keen to know more on getting your AFR reading on your dash LCD screens, I currently have a secondary gauge, I can only use one as the other O2 sensor is controlling the EFI. I guess the thing I’m on the fence about is one has a single LCD the other has dual so typically I have one reading the speed in KPH (my sweep is in MPH for looks) and the other I have temp, trans temp, engine oil temp and other stuff in my Cuda which has the dual LCD, on the RTX having one, I’m interested to know how much is able to be displayed at the same time on that single screen

I’m interested to know how much is able to be displayed at the same time on that single screen
I noticed that as well, the "tic toc" tach must be the reason why the RTX-68D-CHG-X only has one TFT display instead of two. That screen can display a lot of information, and is divided into an upper and lower half, so 2 displays in one, that I think can display maybe 4 data points?
I'm changing valve cover gaskets right now, but as time goes by, I'll have some time to get to know the various features of the RTX system.

Auto Transport Service
Back