• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member from Pittsburgh area

Hemi Rich

Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
Good morning from the Pittsburgh area. New to this forum today. I just started my second Mopar project that I have been sitting on for a few years. It's a 66 Charger, 4 speed and an original Hemi. It has the original fender tag and original vin plate has not been touched. No other documentation though. I found the car in a neighbors garage while I was working on buying parts for my first Mopar project (70 Cuda and not my first mopar). The previous owner had been storing it since the late 80's with the plan to restore it. He was retiring and selling off most of his mopars and parts. But over the years he had collected an impressive amount of Mopar stuff. The auction he was going to have was cancelled due to covid and he decided to try to sell his hoard directly. My gain!
While talking about other things, he showed me around his garage and the charger was sitting there. I said "tell me about this one". Two weeks later it was in my garage.

Anyhow, I just finished stripping it down to a shell for dipping in another month. The process will strip all the paint and rust off the shell so I can get started on the body work. It's not in too bad shape. It will need new floors and rear quarters. I have two donor quarters to use. But the dipping will probably reveal other problems. It should be a fun project.

Pics are from the day it came to my garage.

A quick question - does anyone know what metal the vin tag on the drivers hinge pillar is made of and the metal of the rivets. Certain metals won't survive the dipping process and although I don't want to remove the vin tag for obvious reasons, I don't want to lose it either. Thanks for your help.

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

Welcome aboard from Ohio.( Akron area)

Welcome!! You're 1 luuuucky dude!!
(I like the Madonna style mirrors..)
Generally with these you repair the quarters. There is fellow that makes hand formed ones , if they are complete write offs, but yours look reasonably OK. Early Chargers aren't just go to Walmart and replace everything from off the shelf like the dukes style charger .
On the vin tag, if you could chisel one off a wrecked car and try dipping it maybe??

Congratulations on acquiring that one!! Great to see another Mopar being saved, especially a Hemi . . .

How Sweet It Is.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That 426 Charger is a great find! I really like the colour. Good luck with your project. My R/T.

P4300120.JPG

Welcome from Alabama, great find and a worthy project.

Cool gen 1 Charger project, lots of work

welcome to FBBO

welcome from Hopewell (Raystown lake).... nice find

Auto Transport Service
Back