• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No power again

3sloppydogs

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
this is the second time in a week and a half. Last Friday the storms came through and we lost power for 24hrs. So on Monday big summer storms came through Central md especially carroll county. We are still without power and might not get it back until Saturday. The generator is on and will power the well and the fridge and a couple other thing but its still a pita.
I kept putting off buying a whole house generator but not anymore. We live on a private farm road with only a few houses spread out,we are not a priority
Can't even work in the shop

You can get a 15000k (start up) 13000k running whole house generator for under $3k.

That sucks, I can relate,
knock on wood :praying: hasn't happened
for a while now

I went thru that a year to couple of years back, since Jan 2020
for a couple of years straight
when we had all the damn fires here,
One burned down a whole city, electric co. maintenance BS
& multiple human-caused accidents or flat-out eco-activist arsonists

Still Better, than living in "the shitty's"

No power, for 50+ miles circumference & bad smoke,
freaken' hot weather, all a bad mix
(my dad has heart/health/breathing issues)
I ran a job-site generator 12 hrs a day for a week at a time several times a season,
winter & summer
for several years straight, fridge/freezer, a couple lights, a couple fans
the micro & a radio, crazy how the micro pulls down the power...

Especially Crazy when the Biden's/Newsome's gas/fuel plan went to $6 a gallon,
$50 a day in fuel, just to keep $600 of food not spoiling
or the other extreme feet of snow, taking out powerlines

P I T A

Still better than living "in the shitty's"

Even when there wasn't fires
PG&E on the govn. Newsome's guidelines/recommendations
they'd shut us pissants in rural areas "off for "fire safety" BS

Fires near mostly in/near Yosemite area, tourists started BS
a couple ridges over southeast
or upcountry 25 miles-ish almost nothing but granite & tourists
or down in/or towards the valley foothills west, grass fires
(cigarette buts/arsons eco-activists started)

SoCal had it really bad,
& up N-E by Truckee area, had it really bad too
Paradise, that whole area burned to the ground
failed forest management/govt. BS, PG&E BS

Mother Nature can be a cruel B-tch too

Last edited:
without power and might not get it back until Saturday
Wow that sucks! Sorry you're going through this. We tend to lose power several times a year; but worst one was around 12 hours. Good thing you have a gen to keep a couple things going. Been putting off getting gen set up and should before I seriously regret it.
Think of all the EV's that need charging; ok thought a little humor might help..

You can get a 15000k (start up) 13000k running whole house generator for under $3k.
Yeah, & some are 2 years out, to get them...
or backed up that far, if you can find them
or get the companies to even call you back
or all 3

you know

you used to live here, down south, but here

Generac, for example capable of running a whole house
wired in/plumbed in & installed
run-off
Propane (we can't get NG here) or natural gas
or diesel
or gasoline
is far more than $3,000 installed
(maybe a portable, like a job-site style unit, might possibly be)
& near 15,000 watt (?), nowhere near to 30,000 watts

Last edited:
Chuckled about the EVs
I just came back getting more gas for the generator and was thinking about the dummies that bought them and now are wondering what to do.

1691533157704.png

Sorry to hear that your power is out for so long. We have a similar situation post-hurricanes so finally put the whole house Generac in a couple of years ago. Automatic transfer when the power goes out and 1000 gal propane tank will keep us going for a while. Great peace of mind.

Got an example?

Last year here in WI a storm went through and smashed our power for almost 6 days. We used a small gen. to power our one garage freezer and bought some ice for the coolers and ate what was in the fridge. We did lose a little ice cream :(

Been thinking I would like a house gen. that i could plumb into my LP tank that is already there for the furnace. Figure once it is in place I would upgrade my tank to a larger size and things would be set.
I don't know the first thing about what is a quality build machine or what the cost of getting it wired in is. And modern day internet has so many bogus reviews and idiots posting 5 stars 3 days after they bought it, it becomes difficult to sort.

Ours cost about $18k for the installation and setup. 22kw generac - ~$6k, auto transfer switch - ~$1k, 4 smart management modules to disable 4 high amp circuits on startup so we could use a smaller, cheaper generator - ~$1k plus installation, 1000 gal propane tank buried in the yard and first fill at $2 something a gal.

The 1st estimate we got was close to $30k for a 27kw without the smart management modules. That was more than we could swing. Generator cost was nearly double due to change from air-cooled, 2 cyl to liquid-cooled, 4 cyl.

22kw was the largest 2 cyl when we bought ours in 2019. I think they have larger capacity ones now for similar price.

There are others on the WWW, I just picked this one.

Auto Transport Service
Back