• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No power to dimmer switch

69roadrunner383

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
I have very little electrical knowledge. So any help will definitely the appreciated. I have no instrument lights. I have power going to the light switch. I think it is the blue and white wire that has power? But I have no power whatsoever going to the dimmer switch. I'm assuming that the light switch supplies power to the dimmer switch? Does that mean the light switch is bad? Is there any way to repair the switch? I can find 68 69 Dodge Charger light switches fairly cheap, but the only switches I can find for the 68 69 Roadrunner are either used or NOS and very expensive units

So you have zero voltage at the dimmer switch with headlamp switch in either position ? If not I would jump power across the headlamp switch to feed the dimmer switch, that way you can make sure the rest of the circuit is good...including the dimmer wheel! Do you have a wiring diagram to follow ?

black wire THICK wire is input for headlights and just for those. No fuse for it
Pink wire is power input for parking and dimmer ( dash ) lights. This wire comes from fuse box and is allways hot, so you could check with a voltimeter or test light that wire for power.

It uses to feed also glovebox light and dome light ( can't recall if also on your car ). If you don't have power on pink wire at lights plug OR dome light and glove box lights are lost, Check fuses.

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that you have a 68-70 B body?

A quick question....

When you turn your headlight switch to both Park, and Headlight on positions, do you have parking lamps (P) and tail lights?

Yes, I have a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. I do have headlights, but I do not have tail lights or park lamps.

Last edited:
Dash and tail lights are on the same 10 amp fuse in the glove box. Tell tale so you know you have no tail lights.

Dash and tail lights are on the same 10 amp fuse in the glove box. Tell tale so you know you have no tail lights.
I agree.
Test BOTH ends of the fuse with a test light. That would be the logical first step.

Auto Transport Service
Back