• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Spark

RobE

Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
Hi folks
I'm new here. First Mopar since 1975 Has been a real learning curve for me.
74 Charger SE 318 that I have upgraded to 1969 440. All went good until I tried to start it.
burned up the original wire harness to the engine (used it on the electric choke) wont do that again.
But with all new electronics ECU, Balast resister, Voltage Regulator, Coil, and Battery not to forget the positive and negative battery cables and the proper engine compartment harness from Evans Wiring. All three grounds are in place, firewall to block, neg cable to core support, and the neg bat to block. all connections are clean and new.
It cranks like a champ, Radio and all accessories seem to work,
No Spark
Everything checks out, voltage at the positive post on the primary at the coil is approx 9 volts.
I get 1.5 volts on the neg side during crank. ECU has a good ground, ballast is a little iffy I'm getting different reading depending on the use of my Power probe or my fluke, not sure why. but that should still allow the car to start depending on variety of opinions. or Not??
Any help is welcome I'm at at total loss.
Thanks in advance
IMG_3310(1).jpg

9 volts at the coil is NOT going to cut it. You have a voltage drop somewhere, possibly a ground fault. I would check for a bad coil as well, you should not have voltage on the negative side. If I were you, I would start at the battery and check all wires and components, there's a ground fault somewhere.

Check the info on page 4. This cover no spark issues.
Sorry, try it again....

Attachments

• MOPAR-ROADSIDE-TROUBLESHOOTING.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Leo. Adobe cannot open the file, I’m feeling like Charlie Brown ha ha.

9 volts at the coil is NOT going to cut it. You have a voltage drop somewhere, possibly a ground fault. I would check for a bad coil as well, you should not have voltage on the negative side. If I were you, I would start at the battery and check all wires and components, there's a ground fault somewhere.

Just now see that the starter solenoid wire is grounded.

Yes lol the rotor is in and I lifted the contact.
I jumped 12 volts from the battery to the poss post on the primary of the coil and I have spark. I keep getting strange numbers on the ballast so I bought another but get odd numbers there too. Box had been opened though so who knows.
Found the solenoid wire to the starter has continuity to ground. I can’t imagine that’s right any thoughts???

I believe the solenoid is just an electromagnet so yes you should read continuity to ground.

Auto Transport Service
Back