• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh what a feeling Toyota (FIPG that is) for oil pan

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Hello:
I work with three mechanical engineers that are all car guys. They like their Chevy 350s and MOPAR is foreign to them, but they never give me a hard time about it. We bench race and share wrenching stories all the time (BTW I am a Electrical Engineer).
So I told them I am tackling my oil pan leak for the third time this Holiday break. We discussed what I've done to date and the leak that still happens where the timing chain cover meets the oil pan. Currently I have a MOROSO Blue Silicone gasket that works well sealing everywhere except at the timing chain cover.
Anyhow, these guys claim that TOYOTA Form In Place Gasket (FIPG) part number 00295-00103 will seal any surface, solve any leak, in any situation hands down. I googled "00295-00103 oil leak" and found that Chevy Guys, Import Guys, even Farmall Tractor guys like this stuff and swear by it's capabilities.
So I bought a tube off Amazon for $16.
Plan for December 26 is pull the oil pan. Brake clean really well. Smear globs of this stuff on the timing chain cover area and front of oil pan surfaces, and reassemble with the reusable Blue Silicone gasket.
When I bought the car it had a cork oil pan gasket and someone used an entire tube of red RTV over the front of the oil pan. Yes, it was leaking oil then just as it leaks now.
Wish me luck!
Merry Christmas, Bill

thumbnail_20191213_145634.jpg

I first found out about this stuff almost 20 years ago working for Lexus.

Best I've ever used. I keep it on hand at all times :)

I had a leak on an LA360 years ago, I cleaned the crevice thoroughly and put a coat of RTV on it and let it sit for a day.
Never leaked again.
You don't need gobs of the stuff, an 1/8" is plenty.
You are sure it's not leaking on the balancer?

The Mopar ATF RTV also seems to seal just about everything.

The balancer is not leaking.
It's a 383.
Even mopar magazines mentioned this leak (see picture).

20190720_163214.jpg

ive been working with Toyota going on 16 yrs, use that shitz on everything.

however, when i worked at Dodge, for the first 10ish years of my career, i was introduced to a Rolls Royce sealant called Hylomar, i use it on any paper type gasket and on cork gaskets, this **** is kinda messy, so you gotta be patient with it, but this stuff is the **** on paper gaskets, it will never let them dry out, and they dont crack or seap over time...worth a look

A word of caution with this stuff. The nice key provided in the box to help roll up the tube actually cut the entire back of the tube completely off! What a mess! I ended up taking aluminum foil and duct tape to half *** repair the tube so I could finish the job. Ended up throwing the remainder in the trash as a blob of goo.

DO NOT USE THE TUBE ROLL UP KEY!

Having said that, I am somewhat confident the stuff works well. Just a 15 minute idle while on jack stands and no leaks, but I'm not calling it fixed until a road test.

Looks messy in the pictures but actually not that bad.

20191226_114644.jpg 20191226_114624.jpg

So I ran a neat bead of the stuff on the timing chain cover inside area, on the oil pan gasket surfaces, and really was generous were the leaks/seeps were where the timing cover meets the oil pan.

So far so good!

I'd just like to give you props on reminding me of a sales jingle I haven't thought of in, what, 35 years? Lol!

"Get your hands on a Toyota and you'll never let go"
named a girl Toyota- she never figured it out
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Auto Transport Service
Back