• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

okie chrome

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
ok .. i started a thing on chroming small mid size parts. but its been to long so starting over.
first pic is spray chrome. yes i know. but it works i don't know i would do a bumper with it but i used pops old grill to see how this stuff works and how to do it.
the key is heat and alot of light coats. waisted alot of it playing to see what is best. keep in mind its on plastic. let the grill sit in the sun as well as the can. layed out good and smothed out sweet. the final grill has 10 light coats on it. sorry for the lighting but ya get the idea. if ya just want to put a shine on a fiberglass bumper on the race car sure this will work fine. but ain't no show car stuff. maby a bit of wet samding with ultra fine will make it better but make sure it is dry and hard. like a few days in the spair room with the door shut and heater vent open .. like i said. it likes to be warm.
KIMG0303.JPG

as for dash trim like around the gauges or the chrome around many other things the pen is the best. if ya doing a bezel use the spray and then fill in the black or whatever color ya need. the pens don't do wide stuff to well. if ya try and over lap with the pen it will smear big time. and if ya do one pass next to the first one ya can tell. just don't look right. i did this tonight and it looks much better in real life.
here is a before and after thing. again sorry for the lighting.
everything you see is on amazon cheaper than autozone or anyplace else really.
i will take it out into the sun if there is any tomarow and post more pics. but it is the best okie chrome i have ever seen. and will do the stuff inside the car really well. the pens come in a box of 3. with 3 differnt points. i took the biggest one and trimmed it at an angle so to do a wider path for like armrest and the outside edge of the gauge cluster housing and glove box on my hornet.
KIMG0308.JPG

KIMG0305.JPG

KIMG0306.JPG

KIMG0307.JPG

Looks pretty good. :thumbsup:
the pens work really well and match the chrome on the dash stuff really good. ya can do touch up with them and have good control of where ya put it without alot of masking off. the 62 gauge cluster is my next on the list to do since the new wind screen and quarter glass seals won't be here till Wednesday.

I'm thinking the rattle can stuff looks fine for a racecar or where a satin-ish finish is required.
What brand of paint is that ?
And I can 2nd the chrome pens for dash details - there are also white pens, as well as other colors, at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and etc.

What is the brand of the chrome pen? The picture is a little blurry.

Chrome pens are Molotow - Hobby Lobby and the scale modeling supply houses have them.
You can get 1mm, 2mm & 3mm sizes - 1 and 2 work great, with 2mm best for the raised contours.

I'm thinking the rattle can stuff looks fine for a racecar or where a satin-ish finish is required.
What brand of paint is that ?
And I can 2nd the chrome pens for dash details - there are also white pens, as well as other colors, at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and etc.

EASTUP Premium Metallic Chrome Wheel Paint - Brilliant Finish, High Durability, Fade-resistant, Quick Drying Rim Coating Spray Paint. 15 bucks per​

ZOET 3PK Chrome Marker Pen for Any Surface | Chrome Paint Pen for Repairing, Permanent Reflective Liquid, Touch Up, Model Painting, Marking or DIY Art Projects (0.7|1|3mm Tips) 10 bucks for box of 3​

ya can get the rattle can in 50 colors. only chrome in the pen. amazon is where i got it all at

Chrome pens are Molotow - Hobby Lobby and the scale modeling supply houses have them.
You can get 1mm, 2mm & 3mm sizes - 1 and 2 work great, with 2mm best for the raised contours.
the box of 3 i got were all pin point of differnt sizes. the 3 MM one i cut at a angle so i had both a flat/wide and a 3mm wide point. the point just didn't cover enuff. the small pin point is perfect for doing letters and numbers on knobs and faceplates for switches and such.

Auto Transport Service
Back