• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old American Muscle Cars Embarrass The Youngins

I was out last night and happened to line up at a stop light against a Mustang Mach E. I was in the 97 Camaro SS which is pretty loud so he must have thought we were racing. He took off then I tried a little and gave up. That thing was quick! 3.7 sec 0-60. I hoped to catch him at the next light and tell him his SUV was quick but it sure was ugly.

I pulled up to a light and two young guys in a newer Mustang rolled down their window and complemented me on the Roadrunner. One said it was his favorite year RR. We proceeded to have a “spirited” launch, and of course I was way out in front of them. When I had to turn off a short time later, they beeped and waved and I did the same. Not all youngins are embarrassed by older cars, at least not in my neck of the woods.

Eh, it is still about weight, power, traction, gearing, reaction.
It could be argued power wise modern and old have both advanced and that category may be a draw.
A new Mustang weighs more then many 1970's C body cars. It makes up for it with modern transmission tech.

In fact, the biggest difference between what an old car can do and what a new car can do comes down to transmission tech. If you had an 8 speed auto you could drop behind a 455 olds, or a 429 Ford, or a 440..... yeah.....
But we don't, best we can do is spend gonzo money on a T56 or TKO, or a gear vendors OD unit.

In any case, I hope the youngsters like their hot rods enough to resist the coming BS. Time will tell.

I was out last night and happened to line up at a stop light against a Mustang Mach E. I was in the 97 Camaro SS which is pretty loud so he must have thought we were racing. He took off then I tried a little and gave up. That thing was quick! 3.7 sec 0-60. I hoped to catch him at the next light and tell him his SUV was quick but it sure was ugly.
Next time if you should end up in the
same circumstance, challenge him
to a 300 mile race, in Minnesota, in
January....

Yeah that Mustang suv weighs what, 5000 lbs. I recently took a ride in a Rivian suv that weighs about 7000 lbs and 0-60 spec time is 3.1 sec. Five of us added about 1000 lbs. I wasn’t expecting the launch on a wet road. Pretty quick.

Q: It's news that a guy who has personally modified his car and has 40-50 years of drag racing experience can beat a young guy in a new car?

A: Only to young guys!

Sadly, at the rate drag strips are disappearing, soon we won't have any of these types of threads to discuss. :(

I mean I love my old cars. I've watched videos of similar old vs new runs and while the old sometimes wins the race. 99% of the time the new drives home and the old drives into a trailer to be pulled home. Love my 69 charger and how torquey it is but also pretty sure I'd get my *** kicked by an ecoboost F150 too.

I mean I love my old cars. I've watched videos of similar old vs new runs and while the old sometimes wins the race. 99% of the time the new drives home and the old drives into a trailer to be pulled home. Love my 69 charger and how torquey it is but also pretty sure I'd get my *** kicked by an ecoboost F150 too.
Yeah but… which would you rather be seen in? :thumbsup:

Yeah but… which would you rather be seen in? :thumbsup:
I took the wife and kids on a cruise yesterday. Got several thumbs up on our drive. Wife asked if that made me feel good? I said it's cool when you meet another muscle car and you both acknowledge each others rides. But I said otherwise not really. I don't drive it for the attention. I drive it because I like the experience of driving it.

I took the wife and kids on a cruise yesterday. Got several thumbs up on our drive. Wife asked if that made me feel good? I said it's cool when you meet another muscle car and you both acknowledge each others rides. But I said otherwise not really. I don't drive it for the attention. I drive it because I like the experience of driving it.
I’m the same way, I drive it because I like it, not for someone else to boost my ego. My favorite thing about these old cars is the mechanical feeling of them, I love the raw mechanical feel of running through the gears, muscling the steering, the drum brakes, it’s like saddling an old tractor and pulling a stump out of the ground with it. New cars have no feel, too many cup holders, and almost no road feel and noise. My car doesn’t have a radio, I listen to the sound of the motor and the wind whistling through the windlace. It’s heaven to me!

I like when he says "do you want to have a tax credit or do you want street credit?" and

"that's the problem - because it's so quiet, you can actually here everything your family says..."

Last edited:
Do you guys remember this TV series on SpeedTV? Although most of these classics and older muscle cars obviously had a ton of money into suspension and engine upgrades, it was still pretty cool to see what an older car is capable of if set up and fully optimized.

Here's just one episode. The host is a bit corny, but to me the old cars and trucks are the stars. There's even one episode that they had John Schneider guest on.

I’m the same way, I drive it because I like it, not for someone else to boost my ego. My favorite thing about these old cars is the mechanical feeling of them, I love the raw mechanical feel of running through the gears, muscling the steering, the drum brakes, it’s like saddling an old tractor and pulling a stump out of the ground with it. New cars have no feel, too many cup holders, and almost no road feel and noise. My car doesn’t have a radio, I listen to the sound of the motor and the wind whistling through the windlace. It’s heaven to me!
I feel the same way.
There are no creature comforts in this
build, other than disc brakes and
power steering. No radio, no A/C,
no cruise control. Raw carburated
muscle from Mopars biggest.
Keeps the blood flowing.
I only wish the window would roll
down, so I could feel the wind blow
through what hair I have left.
981835893.jpg

Last edited:
Took my 66 to the city yesterday, 100 mile round trip. No radio, just windows down, wind, noise and smell.
20230810_123824.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back