• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original air conditioning, how to get it working?

eric2632

Local time
7:42 PM
Reaction score
My 77 Cordoba is original unrestored, everything appears to be all there. I’m using it as a daily driver and would like to get the air conditioning working, but not really sure where to start. I have a vacuum pump and some basic knowledge, but haven’t worked on a vintage system. Can it be charged with R134, or do some things need to be changed?

IMG_6193.jpeg

Do you have, or access to, any R-12 ? The answer to your question is, yes and maybe. You can simply change the fittings and receiver-drier, vacuum the system, check for leaks and recharge with R-134. Or.. you can replace everything, from condensor, hoses, accumulator, expansion valve, etc. I've done it both ways a number of times over the years. Both methods have worked. Maybe some components might require replacement due to condition.

My 77 Cordoba is original unrestored, everything appears to be all there. I’m using it as a daily driver and would like to get the air conditioning working, but not really sure where to start. I have a vacuum pump and some basic knowledge, but haven’t worked on a vintage system. Can it be charged with R134, or do some things need to be changed?

View attachment 1465253
It has been a while since I messed with one, but you have several issues. First the original hoses on your car will not hold 134A the refrigerant is thinner they require barrier hoses. Having said that it is a minimal leak you may have to top off the car every other year or so. The main issue is the EPR valve located in the compressor where the suction hose attaches. To my knowledge nobody makes one of these valves that is compatible with 134a . Easiest way it to eliminate the valve and convert to a cycling system. all modern A/C systems are of the cycling type. This company is one example just first one that popped up on goggle 1961-79 MOPAR A/C Thermostat Switch Kit 134A Open the system and try to remove as much of the original mineral oil out of the system as possible. Add Pag oil, Then just purchase conversion fittings to charge the system. Retrofit your Air Conditioning System to R-134a - ThirdGen.Org this is a GM site but the steps are similar to Chrysler.

but not really sure where to start. I have a vacuum pump and some basic knowledge,
Well, for starters, you should have (or do need ) a factory service manual for your car. Never put more refrigerant in your system than the manual calls for, or the compressor will be junk in a hurry. Do you have any idea why it quit working, or when?? Don't automatically assume it's just out of refrigerant. This is important to note, mainly for your own personal safety. You have a pump... do you have gauges?? If so, is it low or out of refrigerant?? If it's out of refrigerant, will it pull and hold a vacuum?? You'll need to know these things before going much further.

Thanks for all the replies and help everyone. Seems like its doable and worth trying. I’m going to order a set of adaptors first and hook up my pump and see if I can hold a vacuum and then go from there. I’ll post my results in a few days depending on when I can get the adaptors and get to it.

Step 1-

See if it will hold a vacuum.

The next step depends on the answer to that question.

Do you have gauges? I bought some from an ebay seller. $50 IIRC.
I see them at pawn shops, too but be aware of brands and prices for new.

If there's a Rural King near you, they are the cheapest for r134 without dye, at least around here.

...and OEM hoses sure will hold 134. Mine are original to the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back