• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Tri Nuts To use or not to use??

Islandkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
Hey fellas
Another one of my **** questions. I'm installing disc brakes up front and I'm wondering if I should use my old hardware when it come to mounting the upper/lower ball joints, caliper mounting brackets, tie rod ends and what not. The original ones that came on my 70 Charger were all tri nuts. Only a couple of the crown nuts had 5 notches for the cotter pins. All my new hardware have the 5 notches or lock nuts. Yes I know the 5 notch crown nuts have tighter tolerances but Ma gave mine 3 notches.
Like I said **** question, but trying to make it look original as best I can. You know blast and dip in that black oxide coating making them look new. What is the consensus? I have a yellow book here that says they should be 5 notch crown nuts, but mine are all 3. Well most of them anyway.
Wouldn't mind hearing some input on this.

original tri nuts 1.jpg

original tri nuts 2.jpg

They have been on the car for 50ish years I would say you can trust them as long as the thread pitch is the same and they are tightening correctly I wouldn't see a problem.

I like original. Good metal.
Yes I can certainly see that. I bought a lot of that aftermarket stuff and I seem to be using all the original stuff I can and shelfing the reproduction stuff.

I have seen new nuts with susp/steering parts smoosh out like a marshmallow.
Scary stuff if you aren't watching.

Yes I believe that. Chinesium stuff not holding up to their end of the bargain! We pay the price and they cut the dance short.

You live on a tiny island ... what are the chances of anyone noticing if they're right or wrong !! ;-)

Auto Transport Service
Back