• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Osprey down, looking for survivors

I would never ride in an Osprey, I’d walk to wherever I needed to be. I don’t trust those things any further than I could throw them. Bad design, too many people already killed in them. The DOD needs to ground and dismantle every one of them!

It does seem like a lot of men die in them.
But it would make sense to compare the data for helicopters, which seem to have a lot of crashes also.

Perhaps @Ghostrider will chime in. I’ve never felt unsafe in a Blackhawk, feet dangling outside or being air lifted with other all on one tether.

One of if not the THE most difficult to fly aircraft ever manufactured.

I am not a fan of the Osprey. Way too many moving parts, each one capable of failing leading to the deaths of all onboard. Helicopters are relatively simple by comparison with more than 50 years of refining. The Osprey is "new" in relative terms, but the accident rate is dismal.

I wouldn't fly in it

One of if not the THE most difficult to fly aircraft ever manufactured.
But from what I've gathered so far on this accident, it wasn't flying difficulty but rather an engine fire that caused it.

It needs both engines to hover. It cannot autorotate without the engines, at least with a "soft" landing. There is a possibility of fuel starvation due to the engine fire. This is possible if they accidentally shut the fuel off to both engines when following the emergency checklist. I have seen this happen in Navy and Army aircraft, so it would be very possible for it to happen to the Marines also.

Sorry to see & hear that
to the ones that gave their all, RIP & Gods Speed
to the injured if any, heal fast soldiers
thanks for your service

I would never ride in an Osprey, I’d walk to wherever I needed to be. I don’t trust those things any further than I could throw them. Bad design, too many people already killed in them. The DOD needs to ground and dismantle every one of them!

A jet typically only has 1 or two seats...keeps souls lost, much lower.
Unfortunately V-22s got a bad rap during their early days due to a few mishaps while loaded with 'PAX' (passengers)...they can carry up to 24 in the back. It IS a complicated aircraft...can be a challenge for aircraft pilots, understanding the vertical aspects of a helicopter. Since their first deployments in 2007, they have 'saved' more lives on the battlefield than they have lost in total.

Ask the Marines, or SpecOps guys...you will get an entirely different opinion. They LOVE them due to their speed (they can take only minutes, when a helo can take an hour or more) and survivability (ability to take on fire and stay airborne). Both are vital whether you need a ride'in' or 'out'. Cheers.

I’ll stick to the Blackhawks or C130’s.

That’s true, but Ospreys are a bad design to begin with.

The Osprey has been in service since 2007.
Interesting aircraft for sure.

Blackhawks since 1974.

I've had a 1/72 model since the 1980's.
I found them fascinating but lost some interest after I read about how ridiculously complex they are to fly.

One of the soldiers lost was from right up the road from here.
God rest his soul.
Prayers for his family.

Auto Transport Service
Back