• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overdrive in my 64 Fury

Rangepony

Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
I'm new to the Mopar game and want to restore my 64 Fury with some driving enhancements....Is there a overdrive transmission that will bolt up to my 318 without major modifications? I've done a number of Ford/Chevy conversions and the standard is a driveshaft mod as well as a transmission carrier mod. My main concern is the bolt pattern match for a modern transmission.

I currently have a push button shift but was also considering putting the bucket seats and automatic transmission console in the car just because it's really cool. I saw Dave's 64 Sport Fury Convertible this weekend in Charlotte and it is an awesome car. Any hints on gathering these parts would also be welcome as well as if this would have a effect on the value of the car when finished.

Need to know if you want to stay with a Mopar transmission. Looks like you have the Poly 318.
If so Mopar made 2, a 518 OD and a 500 OD in the 1990's. 518 is the OD of the 727 small block version and the 500 is the OD of the 904 small block.. These were before the electric models came into play.
But you will have floor board fitment issues with any OD in a 64 B body.
At one time Silver Star Transmissions in Edmond OK were selling the 518 and 500. Not sure now.
Silver State Transmissions has the GM conversion kit for Mopar.

Years ago we installed a 518 (Then sold by Mopar Performance) in a 72 B body.
Had to modify the floor cross member/trans tunnel to fit the OD tranny.

The early b-bodies are tighter in the trans tunnel than the 66- ones. The 500/518 units are very portly at the trans/od-extension housing area. Way more mass than a 727 in that area requiring some surgery on the tunnel and possibly the upper torsion bar/trans crossmember. The Silver State conversion uses the A41 trans, GM 4L60E, which is less portly overall especially ahead of the trans mount area. Even if you use a Gear Vendors unit, what I'm using, there will be surgery required on the floor. On my 65, I'm using the 70 k-frame which moves the engine/trans back 1.5" which is another complication. Since my floor was damaged from the PO and me thumping on it for trans/GV clearance, putting 2x4 SFC's in, seat mount frames, I made up my own floor.

Auto Transport Service
Back