• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting 67 GTX/belvedere/satellite heater control plate

jsugden

Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have any good advice on painting the heater control plate? For technique and sheen level? I think it's closer to a semi gloss.

For those that aren't familiar, is a chrome piece with raised lettering. The piece is painted black and the lettering and slots for the switches are left bare chrome. Picture taken from eBay for reference.

Screenshot_20230909_093856_eBay.jpg

I think I would first give it a “light“ coat of something like black SEM self etching primer. And then a coat of a semi gloss lacquer if you can find some. The 5 ball Krylon 1613 might work well but may be a little flatter than you are looking for. The the tedious wiping the paint off with a lacquer dampened T-shirt wrapped around a finger - or use a razor blade to scrape it off If the self etching primer is balky with lacquer thinner. The self etching primer gives a little bite into chrome, aluminum, etc. Note, I said a little.

These freshly chromed 66 Satellite interior window trim pieces were primed with self-etching primer and SEM Trim Brite and are holding up so far.

IMG_0930.jpeg

This was my plan to use good swabs. I was wondering if I it would work to rub the plate on heavy cotton paper placed on a flat surface and sprayed with lacquer thinner
Use the swabs I linked to. You will not be disappointed

Auto Transport Service
Back