• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Performance catalytic converters

If you replaced the catalytic converters you likely had the O2 sensors removed?
They are more likely to cause a check engine light, broken wiring or poor ground.

Are you just curious or have a check engine light? If just curious, if the high flow cats are just high flow n don't do their job, then your O2 sensor is going to read rich and your ecu isn't going to like it, hence check engine light.

If you have a check engine light, find out what it's for n go from there.

If I remember, the downstream O2(after converter) tells the ecu how good the converter is working as it compares it to the upstream O2. The upstream o2 tries to keep air/fuel ratio at 14.7 to 1. I don't know what a performance converter would do.

If I remember, the downstream O2(after converter) tells the ecu how good the converter is working as it compares it to the upstream O2. The upstream o2 tries to keep air/fuel ratio at 14.7 to 1. I don't know what a performance converter would do.
Me either I'll have to do some research

I did a performance catalytic converter installation on my 350Z years ago, but i remember well that the brand i bought guaranteed to not trigger a check engine light.
A HP converter does the same job as a normal one, although providing a lot less restriction.
An ebay version might not work out as the capacity is too low, some good brand will function well and are mostly less expensive compared to a OEM version.

Do installing performance catalytic converter give a check engine light?
Normally, no. However, if you stepped up in size and started in with larger camshafts, this could present a problem.

I installed twin cats @ 2-1/4 on each exhaust bank of a ‘79 car. It replaced he single cat exhaust. Nothing else changed on the car. It still passed the test. Performance & mileage was a noticeably increased.

Thanks fellas. All I have to do now is find it a distributor. Really appreciate the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back